Thread: A New Implementation

A New Implementation

So I work for a retail business that is owns 6 stores in the surrounding cities. Currently they have about 6 computers per store and the only networking they really have just basically allows them to update each computer's antivirus and get the records and such from POS. They are very behind on upgrading. I'm talking about Celeron processors and 256 MB of RAM and 40 GB hard drives. I am a CS major at UIUC but I don't have much experience in networking. Their IT guy could use the help because it seems like he just wants to upgrade each computer individually but I think there could be a better permanent solution. I'm sure we will still need to upgrade the computers but would it be more practical to upgrade the server end too? The main resources they use are POS, a Catalog program, Office, Adobe, Antivirus, and a few other programs that are specific to one or two computers in the store (ex. Time Clock). Would having a stronger server allow the node computers in the stores to distribute more of the work to the server instead of the individual computer making it so they don't have to spend as much money on each computer? Assuming this, what implementations would you recommend. Thanks!

A retail business with 6 different locations would benefit greatly from a cloud-based ERP solution. Rather than having to update each computer/location separately, you can set the business up on internet software that each location can access remotely. It will save you A LOT of money in the long run as you will no longer have to invest in system upgrades, install new versions of programs, or deal with IT issues on a per-computer basis. Cloud-based ERP solutions are SaaS (software as a service), so you pay on a monthly basis and reap the benefits of constant updates, improvements, and upgrades.

There are countless ERPs out there, so deciding on the right one can be a fairly daunting process. If you would like some professional advice feel free to shoot me an email at daniel@vm-associates.com. I would also be happy to answer any other questions you have about cloud-based software or improving business processes in general.

Thanks but I don't think that implementation would help. Since it is Retail, they need to operate even with loss of internet connection. Also I don't know that the current software would be compatible and they would not be keen on changing stuff drastically. I was more just thinking of something that will keep the same Windows XP POS look except by logging into a server. Then if the internet is down or something they can run off the local computer and upload the data.

New Implementation

I think that the previous advice was about right. It sounds like you need some form of enterprise software that operates in each store even when the internet is down in your location. You need to be able to continue taking sales orders and running the enterprise. Obviously I work for an ERP company and have an interest to disclose but there is nothing the matter with that.

I can say that your issue is partly why True ERP is local server based, runs great on XP, Vista or 7 plateforms and is pretty easy to use. It does not suit all because we do not use a cloud system, but then, you do not have to if you get your cinnectivity right.

I can offer you a solution which will work offline. Data between stores will be transferred via .xml files (you can send them by e-mail or use usb flash or bird mail ).
    Please contact me, if you are interested ofc, via e-mail: m.dilshod91@gmail.com

The implementations you have mentioned are very useful in my opinion according to retail businesses and i must recommend that those who are running this kind of retail business should must apply these useful implementations to their businesses to get best
    results.

Thread Information