Thread: Email Choices - Numerous Users same mailbox

Post Email Choices - Numerous Users same mailbox

Hello All,

I'm struggling a tad here regarding the best email solution for our business.

At the moment we are using Apples Mobile Me through Apple Mail. We have approx. 15 users each accessing the same 3 mailboxes through the same login details (IMAP). Due to Mobile Me being shut down, and our need to start archiving emails (2 accounts are at 50gb :S ) we have been searching for an alternative.

However I'm struggling to figure out the best way for so many users to be able to send and receive messages on the same mailboxes. Some hosters seem to have limits on the number of IMAP connections, other warn of slow performance.

There must be other businesses out there that have shared mailboxes between numerous staff members?

All ideas very much appreciated,

Best regards,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Stainystain View Post
    Hello All,

I'm struggling a tad here regarding the best email solution for our business.

At the moment we are using Apples Mobile Me through Apple Mail. We have approx. 15 users each accessing the same 3 mailboxes through the same login details (IMAP). Due to Mobile Me being shut down, and our need to start archiving emails (2 accounts are at 50gb :S ) we have been searching for an alternative.

However I'm struggling to figure out the best way for so many users to be able to send and receive messages on the same mailboxes. Some hosters seem to have limits on the number of IMAP connections, other warn of slow performance.

There must be other businesses out there that have shared mailboxes between numerous staff members?

All ideas very much appreciated,

Best regards,
    Simon
    Hi Simon - you should consider moving your business to Google Apps. You can setup Email Groups where you can give multiple users access to the same address. You can also create aliases so that emails will come from the same address. Let me know if you need any help getting this setup.

The company I work at uses google apps and it works well

Thanks for the replies!

Google have an IMAP connection limit of 10 so everybody simply connecting to the same Google mailbox is out of the question. We also rely quite heavily on Mac Mail and really do not want to move from using it at the moment - thus the use of IMAP connections.
    After speaking with Google sales, they suggested a main mailbox which then forwarded every email to individual mailboxes. Surely this will get a bit tricky / messy with replies, and keeping the history chain intact for every member of staff? Looking back at past emails is quite important for the way the team work.

Dlatzman, is this the same kind of system as email groups? Are aliases not specific to the individual mailbox? i.e. the reply from the client to the aliases simply goes to that individuals mailbox, and not to the group / main mailbox?

Basically we need every member of staff to see every email, and every reply made to the emails. In our competitive industry replying asap to inquiries is crucial; with these inquiries coming in 24/7 having individual mailboxes will not allow us to do so.

Thanks again for your help

Creating groups in Google does let you set it up so all users will receive the same email; you would then have to determine internally how to organize who responds to what (Don't want multiple people handling the same request...).

This sounds like you might need a more advanced customer service tool though; have you considered helpdesk/customer service solutions such as Zendesk? Systems like this are setup so you can manage customer/client requests and designate them to team members based on countless macros (i.e. if user needs X then assign to User1).

My company is actually an authorized partner of Zendesk and we have helped heaps of clients in the past onboard the service. <i>[Personal contact information not allowed in posts]</I>
    Thanks!

Thread Information