Thread: NZ Auction site

NZ Auction site

Kia Ora all, we've just launched a new auction website over in NZ, any comments and its layout, feel and functionality (as far as you can stretch without joining would be plenty... but feel free to join if you want to stretch further!)

Thanks loads!

Url?

Yeah, good point, after I posted yesterday I realised I forgot the URL but could not find the posting anywhere so figured I needed to wait for it to show up.

www.myauctions.co.nz

Thanks

Just had time to take a quick look. Site looks cute but not sure I like the buttons in the Left Nav area. To me, they are not intuitive - I have to scroll over them to figure out what they were for. Also, navigation bar near the top of the page (Category, Location, Search etc......) does not minimize automatically. So, I click on it and then have to click on it again to get it to close.

Thanks for your feedback, what is your view on button menus in general, just a case of make them more obvious what they are for or stick with text menu?

I get what you're saying regarding listings nagivation and fully agree with respect to ordering/number/search. The reason we didn't close the menu up after clicking was for category/location where the user may be trying to get to a lower level option, we'll have to have a think over that one.

Thanks for your time, much appreciated

Buttons in general are fine. But, even if you think they are intuitive your customer might not. Put a small tag under them and/or use universal symbols (perhaps traffic symbols).

I'm not going to comment on the way it looks because I think your bigger issue is what you are trying to accomplish on your homepage. If I were you, I'd consider making the home page's goal to sign up more users. To do this, you need to make very clear, in as few words as possible, why someone should sign up for your auction site. And then, you can add a big, large, green button (call-to-action) that takes users to the sign up page.

Anyway, I would focus on making this a truly convincing landing page rather than worry about minute details such as the navigation's fonts and so forth. Just my two cents.

Thread Information