Thread: Paypal Standard Issues

Paypal Standard Issues

I recenty switched from a website that was using paypal shopping cart to nopcommerce cart with paypal standard. I never really had any issues with the paypal shopping cart, customers never seemed to have any problems. But now with paypal standard I've had a few customers have issues with paypal. Many of them said the issue was because the address they entered on my website didn't exactly match the address for paypal. Also I get quite a few orders now that come through the cart but never put through the payment. This is kind of a drag as it messes up all my inventories since the order goes through.

So what is a better option? Paypal Pro? I've asked paypal if it would fix these issues and got sort of a probably answer. I don't want to pay an extra $30 a month if its not going to make much of a difference. Any other good options? I'm pretty sure I'm losing some orders now.

I would switch to Authorize.Net to accept credit cards. With a base price of $15.00 per month and more control over the process, you'll do better.

Does it get more expensive? I've looked at authorize.net, but it's sort of confusing as then you need a merchant account. Do you then have to pay authorize and the merchant account?

Quote Originally Posted by roban View Post
    I would switch to Authorize.Net to accept credit cards. With a base price of $15.00 per month and more control over the process, you'll do better.

It only gets more expensive the more you sell. It's the cost of doing business. I consider it worth the cost because it also lends credibility to your site.

Why are you giving only one option for shopping option.There are multi shopping carts which can be attached with.You must go for that as well.Thanks.

Yes, I agree with Steve.

There are many shopping carts out there that supports dozen of payments.

People, let's get the 'players' correctly identified. We are talking about THREE completely different separate entities here, each providing their own piece of the ecommerce puzzle.

Authorize.net is a GATEWAY (player #1)
    It works with a MERCHANT ACCOUNT (player #2)
    You'll probably eed also a SHOPPING CART (player #3)

Yes, each is paid for separately. Beware that some resellers will attempt to sell you 'bundles' containing all three entities wrapped into one neat little package--this is probably why so many of you are so confused about the players. But this bundled approach is almost always a mistake because they are 'rigged' to work only as a "all or nothing" solution. Translation: when you buy a proprietary setup, you pay through the nose because you the merchant have lost all pricing and competitive shopping leverage.
    Automated Merchant Solutions, Inc.
    Ecommerce Payment Solutions
    Barry Godofsky
    amspcs@juno.com
    www.MerchantServices-help.com

vikingjim,

First of all, you could probably get more useful feedback from the NopCommerce community. PayPal standard is a common option used among eCommerce merchants. Especially those using a solution that hasn't been PABP/PA-DSS certified - like NopCommerce - to avoid some of the complications of PCI compliance. There is probably a good chance you will find a merchant using NopCommerce who has experienced similar issues.

The option of using PayPal Pro would eliminate the "boomerang" payment process, and could possibly eliminate the problems you are experiencing. There is no guarantee, because we - or at least I - don't know how well the NopCommerce solution integrates with PayPal Pro.

Currently, your customers are being redirected to PayPal, along with their information (address) and shopping cart information (cart items, prices, etc.). The problem you described, could be due to the lack or incompleteness of data being sent, processed, or received. If your are receiving orders when a payment hasn't been made, perhaps communication is lacking between your site and PayPal. For example, it is possible that a client closed the PayPal window before completing their order, was redirected back to your site, and your site (NopCommerce solution) assumed the payment was made.

PayPal Pro - or another payment gateway that allows you to accept payments directly on your site - could eliminate the issues you are experiencing, because it would eliminate that boomerang process. As I said above, there is no guarantee. It would be wise to ask other NopCommerce merchants for feedback.

There are many payment gateway options out there. I believe NopCommerce supports all of the popular ones.

vikingjim,

First of all, you could probably get more useful feedback from the NopCommerce community. PayPal standard is a common option used among eCommerce merchants. Especially those using a solution that hasn't been PABP/PA-DSS certified - like NopCommerce - to avoid some of the complications of PCI compliance. There is probably a good chance you will find a merchant using NopCommerce who has experienced similar issues.

The option of using PayPal Pro would eliminate the "boomerang" payment process, and could possibly eliminate the problems you are experiencing. There is no guarantee, because we - or at least I - don't know how well the NopCommerce solution integrates with PayPal Pro.

Currently, your customers are being redirected to PayPal, along with their information (address) and shopping cart information (cart items, prices, etc.). The problem you described, could be due to the lack or incompleteness of data being sent, processed, or received. If your are receiving orders when a payment hasn't been made, perhaps communication is lacking between your site and PayPal. For example, it is possible that a client closed the PayPal window before completing their order, was redirected back to your site, and your site (NopCommerce solution) assumed the payment was made.

PayPal Pro - or another payment gateway that allows you to accept payments directly on your site - could eliminate the issues you are experiencing, because it would eliminate that boomerang process. As I said above, there is no guarantee. It would be wise to ask other NopCommerce merchants for feedback.

There are many payment gateway options out there. I believe NopCommerce supports all of the popular ones.

Thread Information