Thread: eCommerce website plugin

eCommerce website plugin

Hi, I’m a Waterloo student currently on co-op and as our on-boarding challenge, my fellow co-op Max and I were told to create a web app that could make $20 in four weeks (with the provision of no family / friend handouts, etc.). Over the past two weeks we’ve come up with a system that applies game dynamics to visitor retention, and would really love some feedback (if you have a few minutes...).

We came by ecommerce-guide.com because we figured there would be people who knew what they’re talking about when it comes to ecommerce and selling stuff online. Right now we’re trying to figure out if what we’ve built is something that people would actually use (after all, life’s a little too short to solve problems no one cares about). So here’s what we do:

We're basically applying game dynamics to increase visitor retention (people staying on the site) and customer acquisition (people buying stuff) on ecommerce based websites. We allow website owners to create 'scavenger hunts' through their site by assigning points to 'objectives' (pages to visit), with the reward being a discount coupon for meeting all the objectives. Once the website owner defines all the objectives, they just download a plugin to their site - this creates a toolbar along the bottom of the webpage with all the info. The point is to give visitors a reason to stay, and to familiarize them with areas of the site / products that the website owner wants to bring their attention to.

The backstory's over at http://myplanetdigital.com/blog/seri...rney-making-20 if you're interested.

So what do you think? Better than sliced bread? Has potential? Waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Maclean View Post
    ... We came by ecommerce-guide.com because...
    Hi, Matt. Glad to see that you are now spinning your post before submitting to multiple forums!

Hey C0ldf1re!

Nice to see you again You definitely have an eye for details (we made that mistake on two other forums and you're the only to notice). We're honestly just trying to get some feedback, and could definitely use someone as detail-oriented as yourself to take a look through our plugin. Interested?

-Matt

... We're honestly just trying to get some feedback, and could definitely use someone as detail-oriented as yourself to take a look through our plugin. Interested?
    I'd love to help, Matt, but... I've far too many things on my plate already. Best of luck, all the same!

Lol, this post is everywhere. I really hope you could make your $20 already.
    Cheers!
    Goldenspiralstudio,
    FREE Magento One-Click Cart Checkout v1.0.5

Hi, I’m a Waterloo student currently on co-op and as our on-boarding challenge, my fellow co-op Max and I were told to create a web app that could make $20 in four weeks (with the provision of no family / friend handouts, etc.). Over the past two weeks we’ve come up with a system that applies game dynamics to visitor retention, and would really love some feedback (if you have a few minutes...).

We came by ecommerce-guide.com because we figured there would be people who knew what they’re talking about when it comes to ecommerce and selling stuff online. Right now we’re trying to figure out if what we’ve built is something that people would actually use (after all, life’s a little too short to solve problems no one cares about). So here’s what we do:

We're basically applying game dynamics to increase visitor retention (people staying on the site) and customer acquisition (people buying stuff) on ecommerce based websites. We allow website owners to create 'scavenger hunts' through their site by assigning points to 'objectives' (pages to visit), with the reward being a discount coupon for meeting all the objectives. Once the website owner defines all the objectives, they just download a plugin to their site - this creates a toolbar along the bottom of the webpage with all the info. The point is to give visitors a reason to stay, and to familiarize them with areas of the site / products that the website owner wants to bring their attention to.

The backstory's over at http://myplanetdigital.com/blog/seri...rney-making-20 if you're interested.

So what do you think? Better than sliced bread? Has potential? Waste of time?
    Definitely a good idea. Im a New Media student and only a few months ago I came across a study stating gaming engages more viewers, can increase sales among other things because its allowing the user to interact with your product which in a way, already builds a relationship with the viewer and product turning the viewer into a potential customer

This is an attractive idea. @Matt, are you still looking for users, or did you already move beyond the trial? Hope the latter for you, but I'd be keen to take a closer look.

Ac2k5

And Jitendra, would be great if you could link to that study. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by ac2k5 View Post
    And Jitendra, would be great if you could link to that study. TIA
    Sorry guys, had a good look but couldn't find the study. I'm going to write down what I can remember from it. It was a good few months ago though.

If you engage with for example, your potential clients using any method to build some sort of a relationship, even a friendly chat perhaps then your more likely to make the sale over the someone selling the same thing but didnt get the opportunity to build a relationship. Which one are you more likely to trust.. A 'friend' or a complete stranger?

Games are a good tool to use for this because people whether they like to admit it or not, like to game regardless of whether its on a console because the game is in a sense, 'rewarding' to them (in this case, through gaming points or even level-ups) so the game makes them feel like they've achieved something. Because people like the feeling of achievement and its something you made them feel, you have now unconsciously built a relationship between yourself and the gamer.. Epic Win

Games keep visitors? Hmmm... "Complete our challenge to get a 20% discount!" Sounds worth a think...

Thread Information