Thread: Stained glass site - Please rate

Question Stained glass site - Please rate

Please rate my site. I am more of a stained glass artist than a webmaster but such as it is. Welcome any suggestions.

site:
    A Glass Menagerie
    http://aglassmenagerie.net

Glass Color choices
    Example: Stained Glass Panel - Mermaid Window 23.5" x 13" - W-277

How does a person specify colors? The example has several colors - if a person wants every one of them changed - how would they specify colors? Do they have to type Hair from brown to blonde - tail from blue to pink???

You own a domain so take advantage of the credibility it affords you by having an email address that reflects your domain and not AOL.

Lose the flying birds, they're a distraction and there is plenty for a visitor to look at on your site and you should focus on that, not on birds that mean nothing.

If you're going to use a dark blue background seriously consider white text. Your text is hard to read.

Consider having a designer take your site into the current century by using css. You use tables on your site and it is old hat.

I agree with Steve in that your ordering structure is unclear.

Rate my stained glass site

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Example: Stained Glass Panel - Mermaid Window 23.5" x 13" - W-277

How does a person specify colors? The example has several colors - if a person wants every one of them changed - how would they specify colors? Do they have to type Hair from brown to blonde - tail from blue to pink???
    Steve, yes, you just type in the color of glass you want where. There are thousands of colors of glass so it is impossible to put a drop down box with all the choices. This is a Paypal thing so I have no control of how to do it better.
    Most people Email me anyway because they want some element changed or a different size which would change the price. Most all of my work is pretty much customized anyway. You know of a better way of doing that?

Stained glass site

Quote Originally Posted by roban View Post
    You own a domain so take advantage of the credibility it affords you by having an email address that reflects your domain and not AOL.

Lose the flying birds, they're a distraction and there is plenty for a visitor to look at on your site and you should focus on that, not on birds that mean nothing.

If you're going to use a dark blue background seriously consider white text. Your text is hard to read.

Consider having a designer take your site into the current century by using css. You use tables on your site and it is old hat.

I agree with Steve in that your ordering structure is unclear.
    Roban,
    Point taken about the birds and text. Funny, I don't find it hard to read at all? Maybe my computer is brighter than most? My eyes get tired easily looking at glaring white pages all the time. Seems like every page I see online is pretty much the same thing; just cookie cutter sites. I wanted mine to look different, artistic. Anyone else think it is hard to read?

I do realize I am using the old hat tables. I don't know CSS. If I could find the time I could do some online courses but I am a one man operation here. Hard to find the time to make stained glass windows, etc and be the butcher, baker, and candlestick maker. I want to bring it into the current way of doing things but webmasters charge way more than I can handle. I downloaded a Dreamweaver trial but was totally lost in that. Perhaps there is other easier to use WYSIWYG software or someone that can fix my site that won't charge an arm and a leg?

Oh, I do have an Email with my domain. I totally despise it. It is VERY slow to load and just not user friendly at all. It is down more often than it is up. I almost changed to another host because of this but then that is a big pain in the butt thing to do so I just use the Yahoo account for now. Besides, Yahoo can sound out "Yahoo!" when I have an order. LOL

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Hello glassme!

You sell very nice products, I really love them.
    As for the site, it takes too much time to load the whole page, you definetly should learn how to optimize it. Also, I agree with Roban about text color, it's too bright for my eyes, but I think white text with your background color will be bad as well. I would recommend you to google best combinations of background color and text, probably you will find a perfect solution.

Also I would recommend you to add "About us" section, customers usually want to learn more about the company, prehistory, how long you are around, what's your goals, etc.

Thread Information