Thread: Reasons why business belongs in the cloud

Reasons why business belongs in the cloud

Before you comment on this subject, please read this blog post http://********app.com/blog/top-5-un...-in-the-cloud/

I agree. Many cloud services nowadays work hand in hand with providers of e signatures to create a service product that many companies are looking for. The implementation of e-signatures in cloud services has made it a lot easier for companies to be able to close their own transactions and eliminate the need for overstocking on traditional paper materials for their offices.

Can't get the page to load, but it's well worth noting that the Cloud is going to replace the Internet that we have now - probably within ten years or less.
    Getting in on the "ground floor" means that you're going to face more of the rough parts of the development process, but you'll also be positioned to lead the way when people start to really appreciate the new approach.

Cloud computing describes a new supplement, consumption, and delivery model for IT services based on the Internet, and it typically involves over-the-Internet provision of dynamically scalable and often virtualized resources.
    Source

So how is the Cloud going to "replace" the Internet?

Suppliment, for sure. Improve, perhaps, maybe even likely. But replace?
    The Old Sarge

Well, as I understand it, the Cloud works by having your computer operate like its own Internet server. So, you don't have to have your computer subordinate to other ones just to maintain the communication flow. It's more along the idea of what the people that first developed the Internet were going for than what we've got now, where your personal computer talks with one (or several) mega-computer.
    Basically, it's going to cut out the middle man so that people who want to be connected can be, to exactly the level that they want. Of course, this'll make the access providers mad for a while, but they'll adapt to providing you with software so that you can customize your level of access/accessibility and the security measures you use.
    I could be misunderstanding it, I suppose, but that's what I took away from the things I've read.

From what you say, looks like I have some reading of my own to do. Thanks!
    The Old Sarge

Cloud Computing is a very big subject. At its core, it allows companies to lease rather than buy compute capacity, storage, and software applications. The CRM software from Salesforce.com is a nice, simple example. Rather than buying a CRM software package that you install and manage yourself, you buy the CRM software from Salesforce.com and use it in the "cloud" as an application. Google's Gmail is another example where you rely on Google to manage all the hardware and software complexities of your email. As an end customer, you only use the Gmail service.

Cloud computing is not really a new concept. What is new is the scale of deployment. For example, Netflix has offloaded a good part of its datacenter needs (storing and delivering movies) to the Amazon cloud.

Here is a short article that compares Electricity retailing to Cloud computing. It may provide some simple insight into what the Cloud is all about:

http://technologyfortherestofus.com/...icity-2-0.html

Roger, I might be reading what you wrote wrong, but I think you may be misunderstanding cloud computing a bit. The core of it is like this:

Traditional: Let's say I write a whitepaper. I use a program on my computer, and save it on my computer. If I destroy my computer, the paper is permanently gone and nobody can access it, because the information is physically in my computer. If I take a vacation to Hawaii and leave my computer behind, I have no way to access my work.

Cloud Computing: I write a whitepaper with a program online. I didn't install the program, nor am I using my computer's power to run the program. I save the paper online. If I physically destroy my computer, it doesn't matter. I can still access my paper from any computer with an internet connection.

Therefore, the true advantage of cloud computing is being able to access documents, videos, games, from any computer with an internet connection. Cloud computing relies on the internet to do what it does, it cannot replace the internet. What it CAN replace are traditional programs that run on your computer, such as Microsoft Word or Excel.

Its just the new buzz of the day, going back to mainframes more or less, only now your renting space on someones mainframe, your trusting them to maintain security and backups. Its good if your business doesn't involve anything that needs to remain secure (IP or perhaps even HR) but dangerous in that amazon cloud is a much bigger target than a small manufacturing company. You also hope they encrypt it so some disgruntled amazon system administrator doest steal your data. Availability is always at the risk of Security.

Quote Originally Posted by danf View Post
    Cloud Computing is a very big subject. At its core, it allows companies to lease rather than buy compute capacity, storage, and software applications. The CRM software from Salesforce.com is a nice, simple example. Rather than buying a CRM software package that you install and manage yourself, you buy the CRM software from Salesforce.com and use it in the "cloud" as an application. Google's Gmail is another example where you rely on Google to manage all the hardware and software complexities of your email. As an end customer, you only use the Gmail service.

Cloud computing is not really a new concept. What is new is the scale of deployment. For example, Netflix has offloaded a good part of its datacenter needs (storing and delivering movies) to the Amazon cloud.

Here is a short article that compares Electricity retailing to Cloud computing. It may provide some simple insight into what the Cloud is all about:

http://technologyfortherestofus.com/...icity-2-0.html
    could u update that link with the cloud computing comparison to elec retailin...thae link u have given dosent work

kunal,

Looks like the site has been taken off-line.
    The Old Sarge

The document has been removed. Any alternative link please?

I think it is too early for the cloud. I saw processors go down over the Holiday season when merchants needed it most....imagine if it was your entire POS system?
    Last edited by The Old Sarge; 01-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.

The concept of cloud computing brings forth a new delivery model for IT services that are conducting businessesover the Internet. The process generally involves provision of scalable and virtualized resources over the internet.Not only does the process provide ease-of-access, but the speed and overall reliability of the entire concept of cloud computing is changing the IT industry rapidly.
    Last edited by The Old Sarge; 08-25-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: remove promo link

Bharat, you last post is a direct copy/paste from anohter source. I found five in the first page of Google SERPs alone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+...w=1440&bih=728

Please don't do that again.
    The Old Sarge

Thread Information