Thread: Need advice on how to setup environment? Please Help.

Need advice on how to setup environment? Please Help.

Let me explain the evironment. I am a small business owner fabricating Granite Counter tops. I have several computers in the shop floor (approx. 3) that are each connected to different machines. Each serve their own function such as controling a laser, transferring CAD drawings, etc. Due to all the fine dust created, I have to replace parts or whole computers from time to time. Each time, I go through hell getting the new computer to communicate with the machine again.
    I have a small network so all computers & machines are on the same LAN. This includes several Back Office computers for Accounting, Admin, etc.

What is the best way for me to reduce my downtime for each occurance of hardware failures?? Should I go virtual and just put dumb terminals on the floor and continue to replace them each time but minimize my downtime?? Use RDC and keep the Original Floor computers in the office (where there is no dust) and put cheap terminals on the floor to connect remotely and conitnue to replace them each time there is a failure???

Looking for ideas? I'm willing to invest a bit but nothing crazy. Thanks

I would get the computers off the floor and control your machines remotely. Aside from the enormous levels of dust you are dealing with moisture as well.

I am not familiar with computer controlled stone cutting but I am with woodworking and those machines have integrated their software from office based computers.

As roban, has said, get them off the floor if practical.

Otherwise, have a look at:

http://www.dirtbag.biz/

This might be your solution!

Thread Information