Page 1 of 3 123 Last>>

Thread: Switching from Yahoo Store to ??

Hybrid View

Switching from Yahoo Store to ??

Looking to change from my Yahoo Store to something else and need a new shopping cart.

Looking for suggestions.

Here are a few things I need:

1) Cross-selling feature. Suggests other items to customer.

2) Export data to Excel, and Quickbooks

3) Sales tax report (I can't believe Yahoo Store doesn't do this)

4) Real time shipping calculation (UPS, DHL, USPS)

5) Sales tax calculation at time of order

6) Compatible with PayPal Website Payments Pro

7) Store and retrieve past orders

8) I want a service, not cart software

Other stuff that I probably take for granted now

I currently use a merchant account, but I'm looking to switch to PayPal payments pro because I believe it will be less money over all.

Any suggestions which carts to look in to? There are so many it is a full-time job searching them.

Thanks!

I would recommend taking a look at mainly full service hosted solutions. Options like Volusion, Squirrelcart, Modular Merchant, and 3Dcart can do everything on your list. I'm of course biased for Modular Merchant since I'm most familiar with the software, it's capabilities, and the people that work there.

I'd recommend starting up some trial accounts and calling into tech support at each of the companies I mentioned (maybe even sending a support ticket). See how you like the software and service (ie. Does it work the way you want it to? Is it easy to work with? Is tech support responsive to your requests?) I'll mention that all web businesses will run differently with different priorities, so it's best that you do your own internal testing to verify the solution fits your needs

I hope the list helps you get started. Goodluck
    Last edited by cinnamon9691; 08-06-2008 at 01:06 AM.

I use Volusion for all 3 sites that I work on. The cross selling feature is the only things that I don't believe they currently do. But you should check out their forum and see if there is a "work around".....I'm not into programming so I stick with the simple stuff. I've been very happy with them and they do offer a 2 week free trial.

Jeccles, does Volusion have the cross sell/upsell feature on their development schedule for future release? I've only personally worked with a couple clients that switched from V to MM so haven't had much experience with it and that was awhile ago.

I know that it is a feature that has been asked for continuously since V5 came out. So, I would hope it will be in the next version. They are really good at listening to what their customers want.

Yeah, I've heard only a few negative things about V mostly about customization and bandwidth and those are the things MM is strong in. Others I've spoken with about V are satisfied with it.

Thanks for the info. I checked into Modular Merchant a little and it looks promising.

Is there a website that actually uses it for their cart that you know of so I can see how it works without doing the trial first?

There are links to several MM client stores below. The Theory11 site was the last one I worked on personally and it was the first site to employ MM version 3 skinning system. They have been with MM for over 2 years as they went live when my baby was born and she's 18 months now (Ok, sorry off topic)

Anyways, I mentioned the skinning system because the checkout steps will be different depending on how you configure your store.

http://www.theory11.com
    http://www.ipopin.com
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com
    http://www.designaglow.com

I tried to show MM clients using each feature you mentioned.

I was wondering if the demo mode in Modular Merchant has an expiration? I don't always have the time needed to play around with demo's and it can take a while.

The trial period is a pretty standard 30 days. I'd recommend contacting the MM staff directly if you need the trial period extended. They are pretty flexible if you'd like to get your store populated and designed before paying.

How about Zen Cart? Does this have a cross-sell feature? I didn't see it listed in their feature set.

Anybody using Zen Cart? How do you like it?

Isn't Zen-Cart an open source cart? If it is and you know what you're doing you could probably set it up to cross sell. We've heard alot about V but we went with Searchfit. It has all of the features that you're asking for in a cart.

Modular Merchant questions

"SSL Security certificate included. Your store will used the shared SSL certificate assigned to Modular Merchant's client area. No additional SSL certificate to install"

Yikes! typos always make me a little nervous.

Outside of that, is this cart a do-it-yourself template driven cart, or do I need a programmer to do it?

Definitely consider volusion, with their next upgrade they should have what you need. Stay away from monstecommerce, Americommerce and yahoo stores for sure.

Volusion

Wow! Thanks for the tip about Volusion. Very nice and a good value. Can I sell down loadable products with their system?

Thread Information