Page 3 of 3 123

Thread: Peachtree vs. Quickbooks accounting software

Personally i prefer quicikbooks, but that could be because I was trained on it.
    I do find it pretty easy to operate and make corrections if I mess up.

Im certainly glad I no longer need to handwrite all the business cheques i used to manually write out though!

I do find that cheque costs are a little higher on laser cheques compared to the manual cheques, but i did find a new cheque supplier that helped me reduce those costs as well.

chequesnow.ca

My bookkeedping trainer referred me to them. Theyve helped reduce our cheque costs and quickbooks has helped reduce my bookkeeping time.
    Last edited by The Old Sarge; 03-05-2011 at 05:42 PM.

I'm new and looking for a bookkeeping software that is specific for ecommerce. I just signed up for quickbooks online, and think it has more to do with someone who owns a physical business such as a "handyman service" etc. I am selling parrot and bird supplies online (or will be as soon as I can get everything in place).

Any suggestions appreciated.

I'm chasing everything manually at this point but am attempting to make a decision on accounting software as well as the inventory aspect is my main area of concern.

Currently, I'm using Point of Sale software from RetailExpress and I'm happy with the inventory management and stock control feature it has.

I think the differences between the two systems are not all that glaring. Peachtree probably offers a little bit more in the way of "accounting" whereas QuickBooks is more of a small business manager.

A pretty good comparison I saw recently of their differences is one from the Software Advice website. I think they might show a little preference for Peachtree in their review, but otherwise I agree with it.
    http://www.softwareadvice.com/articl...books-1062211/

For what it's worth I use QuickBooks, but that is because I am used to it and my clients more often use it too.

Here 's the full scenario: First my company (LLC with Subchapter S ) is still not producing enough profits to pay myself or my partner on a regular basis. In this case, some months we make little extra, so we withdraw some money, and other months where not much profit made, we don't withdraw any funds. Some one mentioned that I could make a owner's withdraw account in the equity, therefore when I pay myself my bank funds are credited and my equity owner's withdraw account is debited, which mean my bank funds decreases and my equity owner's withdraw funds increases. Also, at the end of the year I could transfer all the owner 's equity funds to my retained earning and pay taxes on that total. Would that be an accurate and correct accounting method to pay myself without having a payroll and dealing with the payroll headache and its extra tax expenses. Thank you in advance.

I received good insights or feedback about quickbooks. many have sorted to this inventory scheme, but nowadays there are redbeam.com that is used by those who engaged in Business.

Quickbooks

Quote Originally Posted by bcrogers View Post
    I am currently using Quickbooks for another business but not using it for my ecommerce retail music book business. I'm tracking everything manually at this point but am trying to make a decision on accounting software and the inventory aspect is my main area of concern. It seems that Quickbooks' lack of costing methodolgies (uses average cost only rather than LIFO/FIFO options) is a serious drawback since our product costs do fluctuate from time to time. In my research of Peachtree, I see that it is more flexible and allows other cost methodologies. Can anyone else share your experience in regard to this issue tell me about any other accounting software that you might recommend for a small retail business? Thanks.
    Quickbooks is an excellent accounting software. However many small business owners who try to do their own bookkeeping with Quickbooks soon find it is a lot more difficult than the commercials make it sound. One needs to be aware of how an entry will affect the financial statements, especially if that entry is in a previous month. If an owner does not understand double-entry accounting, it is best if he finds a bookkeeper who is familiar with quickbooks. However, if he is determined to do it himself, many bookkeepers will train, and provide periodic reviews, for a consulting fee. This is probably the most economical solution, but not always the most headache-free. If you need additional information you may contact me from my contact page at www.ablebk.com.

I was reading your post and thought you were talking about AccuPOS POS Software until I saw that you were Mac Based. I am PC based but had some of the same issues with deciding between Quickbooks and Peachtree. For my small food business Quickbooks was ultimately the best for me but I can see how it would be different if I was bigger and had Wholesale as well which I don't. Perhaps this wasn't too helpful but I do think you need to choose your accounting before anything else as is that is where your money is. You should put no limitations on yourself when deciding, even if it means changing other software down the line.

Clara

Thread Information