Page 2 of 3 123 Last>>

Thread: Peachtree vs. Quickbooks accounting software

I used to love QuickBooks for not only its price, but also ease of use. Then I realized it has many problems all together, so I fell in love with Simply Accounting. Now I belive I am using the best accounting package of them all. It is just as easy as quickbooks and almost the same price but far more powerfil like Simply Accounting and Accpac. I am sure you will grow to love it too.
    The thing I like most about it is the fact that is automates most of the accounting practices and does not require you to "double enter" data between software packages every day or every week.

here are what they have to say about it:
    http://darwinproductions.net/Present...eEvolution.xml

http://darwinproductions.net/Present...sEvolution.xml

I will never turn back.
    Last edited by Dynamo321; 08-22-2005 at 04:57 PM.

It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft's new accounting software can do. I heard it's due out this fall. Given Quickbook's deathgrip on the accounting market, plus intense competition from Peachtree...and other apps like Simply Accounting, MS have its work cut out.

Anyone have any preferences regarding Web-based accounting software...like Quickbooks online edition...versus desktop-only software? Pros? Cons?

Bueller? Bueller?

I will bite my tongue regarding your question but I will comment but say however that it will be interesting to see what Microsoft does with the accounting industry. Normatly Microsoft products don't establish any clout until version three anyway. None the less it will be entertaining to see what they do.
    E-commerce and Content Management made Affordable and Easy:
    http://www.coremanagementsolutions.com

Personally, I don't think Microsoft will lure away existing QuickBooks users. However, where Microsoft will attack is with the millions of new small businesses that launch each year.
    I hear the integration with Office applications and Outlook is pretty slick. It will be fun to watch this play out.

Regarding QuickBooks Online, I really don't think Intuit knows what to do with it. It still seems like a well-kept secret. That's a shame because I think it's perfect for small business owners. It's so convenient to get at your accounting app from home. And let's face it, data is far safer at Intuit's data center than on a computer in most small businesses.

Lightbulb Thick Vs Thin client

Thick Vs Thin client or in business terms desktop Vs Web based, well looking at the current trends web based is the way to go, easy to deploy, maintain, easy to develop and make changes to flow and more important you can access it remotely through browser unlike in desktop you have to use citrix or remote connectivity so "Web based tools will rule the planet moving forward ..."

MS "project Green" is the code word for the new accounting package that will be launched combining the best of best software of Great plains, Acc Pac and others which MS acquired few years back ...

I would say it would be integrated heavily with MS office and outlook for CRM activity and its would be web based for sure and they would have addressed breadth and depth, they would sell every piece as a "service" just like your cell phone services you want SMS add $2 per mth something like this ...

Desktop drawbacks they can't release faster especially if it is integrated product line and patching up release/patches is difficult unless smart download capability is implemented which seeks out for any updates and downloads and installs by itself ...

Drawback of web based is its usability you can't use great UI tools like Grid component etc and may not get that rich interface as you get in desktop but again it is going through some innovation such as AJAX programming used in Google's Gmail to give a better Usability experience ...

Final words, look fwd for MS Project Green (Green? $$$ color) they are definitely to kick a$$ QB, Net Suite and others (of course they have marketing budget to do so ...)

For more info on ProjectGreen
    LINK: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1850290,00.asp
    Last edited by InfoSourcing; 08-24-2005 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added a link

Peachtree to QuickBooks

When we were evaluating accounting systems our CPA referred us to a company named Silicon Digital Systems. They provided a very clear comparison of Peachtree, QuickBooks, Great Plains and the new Microsoft Office Small Business Accounting 2006. They analyzed our operating procedures, current accounting systems Peachtree and ACCPAC (which is NOT owned by Microsoft as someone earlier had stated it's owned by ACCPAC International/SAGE Corporation) all of our accounting and daily business reporting needs and eCommerce and Database requirements.

After spending considerable time and money with "hardware" dealers, networking consultants and other non-qualified computer consultants we finally found this company SDSI. Because they are a certified Microsoft Business Soltuions Partner (they know Great Plains and the new Microsoft Office Small Business Accounting 2006) and they're also a registered QuickBooks Professional Developer a certified Simply Accounting developer and a registered Peachtree Professional developer with SAGE.

I wanted to post this message to spare some of you the wasted time and money on computer hardware and software "dealers" who just push products like a retail store. Our company needed a very strong technically saavy business accounting systems consultant that also had a very strong "accounting" background. And what I've found is that this is very hard to find.

Once SDSI made the recommendation to us for our accounting system they also provided the complete data conversion services from our old Peachtree and ACCPAC accounting systems into QuickBooks Enterprise 5.0. (Peachtree to QuickBooks and ACCPAC to QuickBooks) They're now testing our newly developed eCommerce site which is linked to eBay and Amazon "Stores".

You can contact the company at (425) 898-8417 or by their website at http://www.SiliconDigitalSystems.com/Dataconversion.

By the way the link to the new Microsoft Accounting software is http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX011956881033.aspx.

I sure hope this helps you as much as they have helped us.

Tye C.
    VP Operations

Tye,

Thanks for sharing your experience...sounds like something we can all benefit from.

QuickBooks getting more serious about small enterprises

I have to admit to not testing it personally, but I like the fact that Intuit just announced that its Enterprise 6.0 product is now based on a SQL database and supports up to 15 concurrent users (it has been limited to 10). They also claim that it's three to five times faster.

I think one of the problems with QuickBooks is that it has been easy to outgrow it. This may help businessess that would have had to migrate to another accounting platform.

Anyone out there beta test the new QB enterprise software? I'd be curious to hear reactions.

Taking the jump to MS SBA

Well today my new MS Small Business Accounting arrived today and I'm going to install it. I am migrating from Quickbooks due to a lack of support and flexibility on the part of QB, and the fact that they are more interested in selling me new stuff than to support the stuff I already bought. If anyone else is in the process of this migration, feel free to contact me with ideas or questions!<p> I was never able to do the importing and exporting properly to get good automation with my ecommerce websites, and with any luck, I should be able to do that now or will go down trying. I feel that I shouldnt have to spend all my time on the computer, and with luck, this solution should do the trick. I may document the struggle on my website if it gets interesting. Any software I develop is free to anyone who wants it... no warranty!

John ka0osk (MSSBA/OsCommerce/UPS/DHL/ebay?/POS)
    www.midwesttent.com

I'll be very interested in hearing what you think of MS Accounting....I don't know anyone who's used it yet. Keep us posted, will you?

Wink First impressions....

My first impression is: MSSBA is still a work in progress. In fact, even though I got the newest version I still had to update it on MS.com to add some needed functionality. Of course this is import related, and I realy havent started ledgerizing etc. I am hoping MS is reactive to customers requests, and if they are they could seriously give QB and PT a run for thier money.<p> Here is a weird one: It wont import transactions from MS MONEY!!! That would seem a very important omission, as many businesses move into their first SBA pkg from programs like Money. It does import from Banks with export portals, so at worst a user would have to just add ledger comments etc. It remains to be seen if it fixes my QB problems. Inventory import, primarily from excel would be nice....I have more than 10,000 inventory items on my various sites and I will NOT enter them manually! I'll find out tonight about that. Now if I can add the right ecommerce related functionality using VB.NET......

John ka0osk www.midwesttent.com

Importing inventory seems to be a sticking issue with other programs. Why don't sw companies make it easier -- is it so complicated or are they afraid of losing customers if they making moving data between different programs easy?

We originally used Juno with some success. Once we got bigger we moved to Accpac (you really can't outgrow accpac). We use ADS - we're located in the US - and so far so good.

We have used QB for 8 years, and last year upgraded to
    the Enterprise edition.

We have the maintainance agreement and find that we can
    solve even complicated problems over the phone with them,
    at night and weekends, no problem.

One resource that I don't think has been pointed out yet
    is your local accounting firm. They often have staff members
    who are experts in accounting software and can help you
    to find the best one for your needs.

best regards
    wiz

Quickbooks vs Peachtree

Quote Originally Posted by bcrogers View Post
    I am currently using Quickbooks for another business but not using it for my ecommerce retail music book business. I'm tracking everything manually at this point but am trying to make a decision on accounting software and the inventory aspect is my main area of concern. It seems that Quickbooks' lack of costing methodolgies (uses average cost only rather than LIFO/FIFO options) is a serious drawback since our product costs do fluctuate from time to time. In my research of Peachtree, I see that it is more flexible and allows other cost methodologies. Can anyone else share your experience in regard to this issue tell me about any other accounting software that you might recommend for a small retail business? Thanks.
    I have used both software, and I used quickbooks for about 10 years, but I moved to Peachtree last year and I find that it is more user friendly and the the staff will help you for a longer period of time (6mos) vs. (1 month from quickbooks) You will find that there is a lot of 3rd party software additions to quickbooks but Peachtree is closing in fast since Peachtree was taking over by Sage some years ago. I am a business advisor and I also use ACT and the two intergrate seamlessly together. A lot of my clients are in the retail end like yourself and I recommend Peachtree all the time. I personally like Peachtree better and It is affordable and worth a try.

Thread Information