Thread: Newbie Needs Help with Creating Links

Newbie Needs Help with Creating Links

Happy New Year Members,

I have a new Yahoo! store that I just opened for business a couple of weeks ago. And Yahoo makes creating a link very simple through their store manager page for your store. All you have to do is type in a url of a site to create a link to, and click, you've got a link.

But I have no idea how to approach a web master to ask permission to link to their site as of yet, and I would imagine that not too many would be interested in linking to a new site with only 980 visits to date. For this reason, I'm feeling reluctant to approach them. Perhaps I'm too chicken to hear "no".

Anyway, I visited a few link exchange websites hoping that I could build some links more easily that way than sending email request to individual web masters. But with these sites, "Link Market" for instance, they say that I have to create a link page. Huh? And, I have to paste in some code. And with "Link Dash", they talk about web addresses ending in php. Huh?

I have no idea what they mean. I mean, I understand pasting code, but paste it where? And create a link page? What page? Isn't my homepage a link page? I don't understand. Also, they talk about your web server. I don't have any web server.

If anyone has used a link exchange service or any other method of linking to other websites, please explain to me how you did it. I don't want to do it the Yahoo way because I don't have any websites with the okay to link to.

I've been thinking about going to a school and paying a student to come to my house and demonstrate how to link to another website. Does anyone think that would be a good idea?

All responses will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Is your store displayed on your yahoo page? Im not sure i understand what you have going here. Im rather new myself and in the early stages of learning, but I help where I can. If you have a myspace you can hit me up there too www.myspace.com/outspokengraphics

The Link Exchange process can be very time consuming and dreary. It simply consists of finding sites that are relevant to yours (relevant is the operative word). This can easily be done by typing any of your key words or phrases into a search engine. The return will be sites that are relevant to your own. Visit some of the sites and see if they have Link or Resource pages. If they do, go to the contact us page and send an e-mail to the web master or whomever. In the e-mail tell them that an exchange between your sites would benefit both sites. Include your link code which will look something like this:

<a href="the url of your site">Your site name</a>Some relevant text about your site.

Now most web masters will want their link on your site BEFORE they will add yours so here's where you need to create a Link page on your site. Add their link before e-mailing them and include the url to their link in the e-mail and suggest that you will edit their link any way they want it. Ask them to add your link and send you the url to your link on their site. After about 3 days, if you haven't heard from them you can either send another e-mail or delete their link.

What Roban said.
    The Old Sarge

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your replies. Roban, what I did was ask Yahoo! how to do it, and they gave me some detailed instructions for creating a link page. I find the information a bit challenging to understand but I have no choice but to give it a shot, but the information you gave, I find a bit easier to understand.

So I'm going to give Yahoo!s and your information a whirl. May the Force be with me. If I screw up, I'm going to find a computer student to show me the way. Whatever happens, I will keep you posted. I managed to get two orders from my web store without any links or serious SEO. Not bad huh?

http://bargaintrekker.com/

God bless,

Cissly

Outspoken,

I love your website!

Thank you cisslybee, I wonder sometimes I think it is one of those things you either love it, or you hate it. I thank you for your positive feedback.

Thread Information