Page 8 of 19 ... 67891018 ... Last>>

Thread: iCode Everest or Netsuite? - Looking for an "all-in-one" small business solution

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by coopertool
    Hi

I have seen all the issues here with Icode. I bought Icode advance about a year and a half for a project that never came off. But I am thinking of using it now becuse of the integration. What is really needed is the service, pos, ecommerce and accounting. But now I am having second thoughts. My first experience was good. Dont know about now.

Please advise
    I'd be very cautious about working with this firm. We've been trying to work with Everest for 10 months and haven't implemented one item. They seem to have data intergration problems and have a documented history with us of not returning calls.

What type of business are you?

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. As a competitor of iCode, I'm just curious what type of business you are running and what your requirements are to go live. I'd just like the feedback on important issues for customers.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Comtech Solutions Worldwide, Inc.
    www.comtechsolutions.com

This thread just keeps going with disappointed Everest users, so I'll add my experiences. We licensed our software through a VAR just before (A) Icode scuttled their VAR channel, and (B) jacked up the costs with no warnings. They had made numerous changes to their pricing structure over the previous years, never quite sure what market they wanted to serve, and, we jumped in when we thought they finally had their act together. How wrong could we be.

We were first very interested in Accware (now Everest) for the rich integrated feature set offered. Unfortunately, implemenation was hampered by the VAR being cut off from icode support during the shake-up. When I contacted icode for support, they were marginally helpful on issues that IMHO should have been better documented in the first place. Then, I got the sticker shock for renewed support contract. Icode had increased the cost of their software more than 500%. Grudgingly, we paid for the additional support. Icode wanted to sell us further "implentation" services for the new version of the software. At this point, they were claiming, once again, on their web site, that they were looking for VARs, but all the while, they told me that a VAR would never be able to offer the level of support that going direct with icode could give us. FYI, their VAR recruitment material references how extraordinarilly lucrative training and implemenation can be and they emphasize how the cost of training alone would likely far exceed the cost of the software.

Since then, we have decided that their product was a very poor value for an SMB, the market they claim to target. We did not renew the support contract and made do with what we had.

I also found their support forums to be frstratingly sparse. I never felt that there was much user to user communication and that this was a completely closed system.

Now, we are looking for something updated and I'm in the preliminary stages of finding a replacement. We're looking for something that is open, readilly supported, and affordable. That's why I'm 99% convinced that open-source is the way to go at this time. I don't think these options were ready for prime-time years ago when we decided on Accware (now Everest), but now, we're just cutting our losses and exploring the open source options.

As I said our search is in the early stages, but there are two (or four if you count the forks) products out there that might fit the bill. We're looking at The Apache Open For Business Project or the derivative work opentaps. The other contender(s) is Compiere or the fork Adempiere. Each has different strengths but, at first glance, the integrated feature set seems on a par with Everest. Integration, training, and customisation costs promise to be much lower than those for Everest.

So, there are definitely alternates to Everest, and my recommendation is to choose one, any one, so long as it's not Everest.

Good luck.

We are now using Stonedege order manager www.*********.com
    having used a different solution with very little support for the last 11 years, it is like a breath of fresh air- they have a room full of techies waiting to help with support plus an on line forum open to the public from their home page- show me another software vendor that offers that. My first request from icode when investigating everest was top let me on their forum for a few days- no way would they. order manager is based on Access and this is a limitation except they have been rewriting it since 1998 with the input from their users- most small to medium ecommerce sites, so they have an incredible array of features. The cost is just $1500 to get started and the enterprise version that runs on an MSSQL database (with access terminals) is about $5500. We generally process from 100-200 orders a day and crashed on a Wednesday-valentines day and got up and running on the following Monday! We are still sorting things out but have our quantity on hands live on the site and the order import is fine. The .NET programs don't seem to be ready for primetime IMHO with interprise still buggy and support is in the Philippines (do they have an actual release after years of promotion?), netsuite is too "big business" with salespeople that maybe used to sell cars, Evolution seems OK but support is really from the one guy that wrote it, Everest is a horror story as all in this thread know. Support is the name of the game for us and the guys at ********* are second to none. Call them up, they "go to my pc' to your machine- get it done and all with nice attitudes - a rare find in the support world! No, I do not work for them, but Barney runs his business the way I try to run mine and if I was a techie I wouldn't mind working for him!

To clarify my post above, when I said that we crashed on Valentine's day, I was referring to our old software (not Order Manager from *********.com) We were sitting with broken software that we could not recover, and hundreds of orders to process. I made the decision to install Order manager on our network on Thursday night and start from scratch. We installed it on a server and a half dozen terminals, installed new charging software (got off of ICverify- a real dog - and onto PCcharge which seems really great so far), imported 8000 inventory items from our site, and by Monday we had 6 people trained. We started charging that day and have been happy campers ever since. The integration is amazing- fully integrated with UPS and Fedex shipping so we can just scan a barcode on the invoice and the shipping record is populated. There are too much features to mention here, but these guys have been working hard to create a great product. For small (under 10 user) ecommerce companies, I have not seen a better product.

Quote Originally Posted by KCI Web
    The .NET programs don't seem to be ready for primetime IMHO with interprise still buggy and support is in the Philippines (do they have an actual release after years of promotion?)
    Hi KCI,

I’m happy that you found a solution that meets your needs. Personally, I’m not a fan of all the import / export, upload / download involved with trying to connect a website with a order management system with a shipping system and with QuickBooks. Too much can go wrong and it makes it very difficult to provide accurate information when being audited since the data is so spread around.

I prefer real-time coordination between the website and backend system from both a database and business logic level. This way whether a customer orders online or over the phone they get the same exact options and prices. Also things only need to be setup one time reducing the ongoing cost of maintaining multiple databases.

Just to clarify on the Interprise Suite release, we had a open beta period where we brought outside companies into the development process of the application. This lasted for about 18 months. With nearly 1,000 companies in over 50 countries making suggestions there was a lot to incorporate. The application has been released and we will be issuing a new version later this month that will incorporate a number of new features such as the ability to run multiple websites from one company data file and a fully integrated shipping system.

While you may not feel that .NET applications are ready for primetime there is no debating that .NET applications are the absolute future. I think that any company making a long term investment in technology should think about what kind of technology they want to be running in 2010, 2014 and beyond. As the former principal of a company that created and marketed a very nice access based accounting system (4.5 stars in CPA Software magazine) I can tell you there is no comparison when it comes to scalability and data reliability between access based and .NET based systems. Unfortunately there is also no comparison in the development time as well since it only took about 8 man years to create in access what we have taken over 200 man years to create in .NET. As for access client programs that connect to SQL via ODBC - We tried this with my former company and found this to be pretty useless since you can not use any of the SQL stored procedures (which is the main benefit of using SQL) and the ODBC layer slows data access.

To clarify on support we offer support through our resellers, our U.S. office, our U.K. office and our Philippines office. Most North American support issues do go to the Philippines office first whereas most U.K. / E.U. support inquiries are handled in the U.K. first. Our Philippine based support agents each have a college degree in accounting or computer information systems making them highly qualified. Since you mentioned Netsuite it may be appropriate to note that they also base much of their support from the Philippines as well.

http://news.inquirer.net/infotech/in...story_id=59737

I’m curious to know that since you are not a customer how did you experience our support department?
    ----------------------------
    Gary Harrison
    Interprise Solutions

.NET apps

Thanks for the reply. I agree that a .NET solution would be perfect- if it worked, had adequate support and worked at a reasonable price. I have faith that they will someday.
    I run a company and we have many people depending on our software working. We don't have the luxury to beta test or run version 1.0 of anything. That being said, we have been and are still interested in .NET apps. I recognize them as the future and we have been investigating them. Interprise seems very well laid out and the integration with aspdotnetstorefront seems phenomenal. The sales pitches and slick web sites rarely tell the whole story, though, and your software is very new.

We participated in a demo of your program during which it crashed for your worker repeatedly. This is somewhat understandable as it was still in beta (but had been in beta for over a year!), and I wish you luck. I may very well want to get on board with you all, but I will have to see that it is ready for prime time first. It will likely take some time to get the features in line with what the customers are looking for. I will download the single user when I get some time and give it a run.

Right now, *********.com offers an incredible solution out of the box and phenomenal support. The uploads, downloads et al are inconveniences, but it works and allows us to offer the shopper the best experience and our back office can breeze through the order management.

Your type of app is the future - Please get the rest of it right - immediate support for users, rapid updates in response to users' needs, fair pricing, and how about a public forum on the site? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by KCI Web
    Thanks for the reply. I agree that a .NET solution would be perfect- if it worked, had adequate support and worked at a reasonable price. I have faith that they will someday.
    I run a company and we have many people depending on our software working. We don't have the luxury to beta test or run version 1.0 of anything. That being said, we have been and are still interested in .NET apps. I recognize them as the future and we have been investigating them. Interprise seems very well laid out and the integration with aspdotnetstorefront seems phenomenal. The sales pitches and slick web sites rarely tell the whole story, though, and your software is very new.

We participated in a demo of your program during which it crashed for your worker repeatedly. This is somewhat understandable as it was still in beta (but had been in beta for over a year!), and I wish you luck. I may very well want to get on board with you all, but I will have to see that it is ready for prime time first. It will likely take some time to get the features in line with what the customers are looking for. I will download the single user when I get some time and give it a run.

Right now, *********.com offers an incredible solution out of the box and phenomenal support. The uploads, downloads et al are inconveniences, but it works and allows us to offer the shopper the best experience and our back office can breeze through the order management.

Your type of app is the future - Please get the rest of it right - immediate support for users, rapid updates in response to users' needs, fair pricing, and how about a public forum on the site? Good luck.
    KCI,

Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to reply to my earlier post.

I apologize that we were not able to get the application finished in time for you and appreciate the fact that you included us in your search in the first place. Actually we were in “beta” for 18 months, but the goal of our beta program was to bring companies like yours into the development process to design a product suitable for today’s business realities.

I’m happy that you have found a solution that works great for your current needs and have taken the time to let other people in your situation know about it. That’s great and is exactly what forums like this are designed for!

Gary
    ----------------------------
    Gary Harrison
    Interprise Solutions

ICODE Everest

This blog was unbeleivable!

Some of points are valid however - google can't crawl the website prior to version 4.0. and my other bitch is I can't manually correct a control account.

I am a self proclaimed computer guy (no real training), so all the piddly details of the systems don't cost me money to fix.

1.) The software doesn't easily support case pack. - my solution - custom numeric field for case pack. and create my own pick tickets through crystal. - I prefer my own pick tickets, because I can put all sorts of controls on them and also print them in spanglish. My cost: 5 hours my time. If I paid for it probably over $1000.

The list goes on and on.

Personally, I absolutely love the program. Wouldn't dream of changing. We are a very small company - two owners, two customer service and one shipping manager. We add six seasonal warehouse employees for a few months. We ship Christmas related products from June 15th through December 15th. We processed over 12,000 orders last year and plan on growing our transactions by 10,000 orders this year. We run credit cards on about 15% of the orders at the ship stations.

We are very confident that our Icode software won't crash during our busy season. I implemented the software myself so the cost was under $10,000 for 5 users. (only reget during installation: I wish I would have paid a little money to have them help me with the chart of accounts) I paid $2500 more for an additional website, and I just paid $5000 for 5 more users which will be used to add another 5 shipping lanes in our warehouse. I think maintenance fees are about $5,000 a year give or take.

ICODE support is good. For $199.95 (although I would have paid $200 They fix technical problems and help with migrations to new servers. I personally don't purchase the unlimited call plan, but prefer to pay the $200 when I need them. Usually about twice a year.

Wow, this is a great topic I read every post except Randys many many replies. It's unfortunate to hear all the bad icode stories, I wonder if that's why they changed names two times... if I read correctly they were also called accl something and now they're called everest? :/

Anyways. I wish I would have found this post a lot sooner. I've been looking for over a year now but when I first started I didn't know ANY of the proper terms so it was extremely difficult for me to start not knowing what to look for. All I knew was I needed something better than quickbooks/peachtree I would have saved a lot of time finding this topic sooner or atleast knowing the term, erp, crm, oms etc. I'm waiting on Interprise Suite Advanced edition. I hope that comes around shortly after SP1 because I really need the advanced warehousing features. I had looked into coresense, mainstreet commerce, order motion, mas 90, mail order manager, ecometry, salesforce and a couple others. MOM looked decent but after researching more, it didn't have accounting and it was built in foxpro which microsoft has decided to stop developing.

The most valuable information I got from this thread was if anyone is considering Everest... think HARD and TWICE before you sign that dotted line.

Oh I just wanted to add for anyone still considering opensource. I think VirtueMart is probably the best thing out there on the webside of things and it's capabilities are on par or greater than many commercial solutions. The backend to me seemed a lot easier to use and configure than aspdotnetstorefront and legarde storefront IMO. Basically it's a complete set of modules and components you can setup on a joomla website (and mambo i think). Anyone whos ever checked out cms should know about joomla and how much it kicks butt. especially compared to phpnuke... I just shivered while thinking about it lol. In regards to open source erp, the pickings are slim as are the communities that support them so just make sure you can really support yourself if you go that route.

Has anyone tried Veetro yet? They say they are a one-stop solution, but I am leery...

The web site is http://www.veetro.com/ and it was listed as one of the 100 Sites in the Freelancer's Toolset.... http://www.cogniview.com/convert-pdf...possibly-need/

Icode/Everest, Interprise, Mainstreet, Devix, Coresense, others

We too tried Icode's Accware (now Everest) in 2002. The implementation attempt failed, and shortly after we told them we were abandoning their product they tried to sell me the *new* Everest Advanced for only twice what I paid for Accware.

Five years have passed and we're revisiting the whole Ecommerce/CRM/ERP topic. I've spent many hours researching the various options, and here's a quick run-down of companies I've talked to so far:

http://www.mainstreetcommerce.com - Looks like a very good program. Very customizable. Written with the latest technologies in mind. As of now, a flat $15,000 license if they host it, or $20,000 deployed. Their intention is to meet 80% of your needs "out of the box" and customize the other 20% (at $125/hr) to your liking. Even the $15,000 is more than I want to spend, but they are either number 1 or 2 on my list right now -- does anyone have any experience with them? I spoke with the CEO and others, and have gotten good impressions from each person I've spoken with so far.

http://www.devix.com - This is the other company at the top of my list. If it were'nt for the $60,000+ price tag (they will lease it for 60 months), I think I'd already be a customer. This software seems to do everything but wash the dishes, and the customers I've spoken to seem satisfied (I called customers I found on my own, NOT customers from their referral list!). A MAJOR feature they have is something call the Business Process Accelerator, which they say allows you to set rules for any business function or process that can be logically defined. For example, send an email to any wholesale customer that purchased x product in the past but not in the last x days, then set a phone call followup for 7 days thereafter. They said they support all the price engine data feeds, multiple sites with one database, purchase automation, warehouse management, rma's, accounting, etc. They also have a 2-way API that integrates with QuickBooks if you prefer. Hosting starts at a reasonable $300/month, considering the size of the application and data files, and the high-end nature of their hosting. I'm also interested in hearing from anybody using Devix.

http://www.corezon.com - Has a quite flexible web site. I think they will quote you whatever price they feel you're willing to pay through, so be careful. I spoke with customers (again, customers I found through Google) who paid from $2,000 to $20,000 for essentially the same software. One customer stated they have to "hound" their support department to get problems resolved. Their backend is pretty powerful, but doesn't have as high-tech of a feel, and certain things aren't thought out as well as I'd like. They don't "integrate" with Quickbooks - only export to csv files and the like. Many features advertised online are "add-on" modules, and some advertised add-ons don't work (according to one customer, they bought Amazon integration 6 months ago and their support department still doesn't have it working with their site).

http://www.darwinproductions.net - This software -- Evolution -- is currently 3rd on my list. What I like about it is the affordable price tag -- currently $750 per seat for the backend solution, plus $2500 for the ecommerce module. Most things are well thought out, and it is also built on the latest technologies and with security and customization abilities at the forefront. A couple features that are critical to some ecommerce stores and that are commonplace in high-end standalone carts do not exist. For instance, each product can only be placed in a single product category, and product categories can only be 2 levels deep. Also, when doing a search in their backend software, it only searches from the beginning of a customer or item. So if you search for a customer with "Roofing" in the name it will not pull up "Quality Roofing Company"! I'm not convinced that customizing this software would be as simple as with some of the other solutions.

http://www.coresense.com - From conversations and demos, this looks to be very good software. However, it is expensive. They said to figure $30,000-50,000 for implementation, and then maintenance/support/hosting is about $2,000/month (they are strictly a hosted solution). They don't have an accounting component to their software.

http://www.bizautomation.com - probably a good choice for some people. Looks nice overall; they don't fully integrate with Quickbooks or other accounting software, yet they are still building their own general ledger application. I've generally seen that version 1.0 of any GL app is not completely thought out and is therefore cumbersome to use. Not nearly as big of an application as some of the others, but then again not as expensive.

http://www.interprisesuite.com - These folks have a really nice start on a great package. Best of all, their single user license is currently FREE! Unfortunately, version 1.0 SP1 was just released May 2007, and I had a very bad experience using version 1.0 of a product by Comtech Solutions. Ironically, a principal from Comtech at the time is now one of the lead players at Interprise Solutions. I'm serious, though, when I say they have a very nice product. Great framework, new technology, an unbelievable number of features, and an affordable price. As of May 2007 it is a flat $500/user, and add $1295 for the ecommerce module developed jointly with AspDotNetStorefront. Since I could get the free 1-user version, I had a chance to spend a lot of time with it before deciding it isn't polished enough for use at my business. I can't really point to 1 thing - just a bunch of "little" things, such as a lack of a "leave for now" button on the bank reconciliation screen. Without it, I could be 1 transaction away from finishing the reconciliation, and if I had to return later I'd have to restart from scratch. Mr. Gary Harrision, if you read this post, I'd probably have already purchased your product if you offered a 2-way API integration with Quickbooks. This way I could benefit from all of the wonderful features of your CRM/Ecommerce/Purchasing/etc without having to put up with the shortfalls of the verson 1.0 General Ledger like I described above.

http://www.comtechsolutions.com - This is the company that wrote Image Accouting Premier, Adept.Net, and now VisionCore. They are all 3 basically the same program, except Image Accounting is Access-based and VisionCore is .NET based and essentially a renamed version of Adept.Net, which was strictly a .NET version of Image Accounting. In 2005, Version 1.0 of Adept.Net was so bad that I asked to be switched to Image Accounting (VisionCore was not yet released). I can't speak for VisionCore, but the other 2 programs were essentially a lot of unusable eye-candy. They had a "built-in" dayplanner module that was actually a separate application that opened and closed every time you accessed it. Their web module was essentially non-functional. Now with VisionCore I see they partnered with AbleCommerce, which has a good reputation. On almost every screen was a half-implemented feature. They introduced a "loyalty" program, but it forced you to redeem points by writing a check to the customer, and ALL customers qualified for the program if you turned it on, with no exceptions based on specially discounted prices that some customers received. In other words, implemented just enough to say they included a loyalty program but not enough for most companies to actually use it. Sorry, I guess I rambled a bit there...

http://www.dydacomp.com - tested their version 4.0 several years ago. The whole program had an antiquated feel to it, and customers still complain wildly about their Sitelink ecommerce module. Now they are on version 6 or so, and when you read forum postings it seems most are complaints about speed, customization, integration, stability, technology (its written in FoxPro), etc. Unless it does exactly what you're looking for, I wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.*********.com - I haven't even called this place, and they aren't really ERP/CRM software (they are an order management solution), but I've read so many positive posts about Barney Stone and their customer service that I had to give him a mention.

http://www.netsuite.com - This company is just too big. They scare me because as a rule the larger a company gets the dumber it gets. They lose touch with what customers need. I've read posts about Netsuite quoting one price, then drop the price 50-70% though negotions. I've also read about customers having their monthly fees doubled or tripled after a contract period ended. They just seem way too unpredicable.

There you have it. My quest for a high-end ecommerce system integrated with CRM and Accounting, starting with ICode/Accware/Everest.

My only hope now is that I don't get kicked off the forum for such a long post. Anyone have feedback on any of these solutions?

Other options if you're in the Office Products Industry

Being in the office products industry, these are other packages I've looked at:

http://www.thalerus.com - Quite good, quite pricey, very rigid website structure.
    http://www.digitalgateway.com - the new kid on the block, new technology, nice feature set, instead of doing their own ecommerce, they partnered with Structured Web.
    http://www.structuredweb.com - I wasn't impressed by them. A lot of flash, but missing very basic web features. Very modular price structure (for example, $1200/yr to put your product catalog online (browse only), ANOTHER $1200/yr to enable your customers to PURCHASE products online, ANOTHER $1200/yr for access to a tool that lets you manage your own online content instead of going through their support department. Give me a break!
    http://www.redcheetah.com What the do, they do nicely. But they're basically an expensive website.
    http://www.omd.com - Has a nice new web module, but the back end is written in DOS.
    http://www.eci2.com - Also a nice new web module, but the back end is written mostly in DOS. A few screens are still TEXT BASED without a Windows-style GUI!
    http://www.varstreet.com
    http://www.flashecom.com

For reference only, I'm listing these because they are related to this topic, but it took me a lot of searching to find them. they are easy to overlook:
    http://www.ingeniasoft.com
    http://www.escalateretail.com
    http://www.ordersuite.com
    http://www.tekinteractive.com
    http://www.cuttingedgecomputing.com
    http://www.colinear.comhttp://www.newhavensoftware.com

Chris - Great info! We've recently started our CRM/ERP search. This is very helpful.

I went to download Interprise and guess what?! It doesn't work with Firefox. That pretty much knocked them off my list.

We're currently a Quickbooks and Zoovy (ecommerce and order management) and really want an all-in-one, internet accessible solution.

Hey Chris, Good compilation of links.

I have heard of Escalate retail. Their flagship product is called Ecometry and the base licenes is going to run about 50k (15 users) training and implementation apx 60k plus $13k for travel (they fly people out to help you). Website integration is an additional 15k The interface is a little old school compared to the newer .net apps. Most are windows apps but a few were dos based. They have modules that integrate with VIOP/caller id and stuff and their client brochure has some top brands...to name a few polaroid, vans, levis, nordstroms, kohl's, nautilus, sprint, thebudk catalog, tigerdirect.com, Wilson, petsmart, northern Tool

I had a simimilar experience as you with the beta of IS and also the initial 2007 release of IS. SP1 really takes care of a lot of things. You might want to give it another shot. I was about to mention VisionCore myself. I've been debating between VisionCore and Interprise Solutions. Both .net apps and they both have some good features the other one does not.

I recently started demoing VisionCore and have found it really easy to use. On request I was able to get access to their private support forums and the response time to my inquiries has been 1 day so that's pretty good. I like the way they handle creating customer records etc better than IS and also they've already got payroll working and multiple warehouses. IS on the other hand seems to have better marketing capabilities such as setting up ad campaigns/waves, and I like their "business intelligence" dashboards better than visioncore too.

I had inquired about mainstreetcommerce.com before and I'm not sure how new your price quote is but last year I was quoted $15k for the license and $500/mo for hosting, and I had no option for self hosting. They don't have accounting built in so you still need to do some integration with the accounting package of your choice. They have an ebay integration module but they charge 2.5% for each successful ebay sale. No point of sale either.

CoreSense is going to run about $1500/mo hosting (i forget how many users) and about 25k for implementation.

Another SAAS app i looked into last year was:
    http://www.ordermotion.com/

Two other SAAS which I haven't reviewed are:
    http://www.zoovy.com
    http://www.volusion.com/

Lastly, http://www.newhavensoftware.com a non hosted solution that offers migration paths from Dydacomps MOM. Demo was only available by cd which expires by date hard coded on the cdrom itself. It was expired by the time I actually found time to install it. Wasn't able to get the time extension to work so I didn't try after that. It does not offer accounting either so again you'd have to find a way to integrate with the accounting software of your choice.

Thread Information