Thread: Have Quickbooks but having issues.

Have Quickbooks but having issues.

Hi, I'm new here and happy to find this place. I'm running XP Pro with Quickbooks Pro 2005 multi-user (5 workers).

I run a small business that sells construction materials internationally. Because our typical day involves having our customers request pricing on any one of thousands of contruction products out there, our item list is growing so rapidly and quickly becoming out of control. Many of these items are also commodity items so the prices are changing daily.

Basically I have no reporting whatsoever. For example, I sell Widgets. Today the Widget pricing has changed so I manually just enter the new price in the Estimate and get an order, manually change it in the Vendor Purchase Order, and manually change it on my Customer Invoice. Imagine doing this to hundreds of items all the time. I can't do a report and see the history of the Widget pricing or item profitability. At the very least I'd like to get this under control. I couldn't even tell you what my most profitable item is margin-wise. I saw there was an add-on called Item Manager or something but haven't looked too deeply in to that. I'd love to see the item history and what I've sold that Widget for and to whom on a quick report. Many times I haven't sold a particular item in quite a while and need to price it and have no idea what I sold it for previously!

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ear and very appreciative. TIA.

Here's the first thought that jumps into my head: Maybe the problem isn't so much the functionality of the accounting software... QuickBooks will let you keep a large item list (up to 25,000 items, I recall, at least with the Enterprise version and maybe with other versions running on top of a SQL database?)

But having thousands of items to update prices for on a daily basis? That either needs to be automated (by some sort of link to the suppliers you use) or you need a small army of clerks regularly updating the prices.

I guess my point is, the thing may not be solvable with QB. You may need help from your suppliers...or more people power.
    Steve Nelson, Seattle CPA, QuickBooks for Dummies author
    Publisher, forming an llc kits and forming an s corp kits web sites

i use quickbooks but my prices too change depending on what day it is. i dont keep an inventory, when i make an invoice i just manually put the price in, iven if there is a price there you can change it

Have you looked into an automated pricing import?

SeattleCPA had a good point; You may want to consider an automated import. I'm not sure if this is available in Quickbooks, but I know that with many other database solutions this is fairly easy. We've done several for companies like electrical parts distributors, computer parts distributors, etc... that were dealing with a high volume of pricing updates on a daily basis. It can really reduce errors and save a lot of time, even if it costs a little to have it written initially.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Are your items set-up as inventory items?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mitty
    Hi, I'm new here and happy to find this place. I'm running XP Pro with Quickbooks Pro 2005 multi-user (5 workers).

I run a small business that sells construction materials internationally. Because our typical day involves having our customers request pricing on any one of thousands of contruction products out there, our item list is growing so rapidly and quickly becoming out of control. Many of these items are also commodity items so the prices are changing daily.

Basically I have no reporting whatsoever. For example, I sell Widgets. Today the Widget pricing has changed so I manually just enter the new price in the Estimate and get an order, manually change it in the Vendor Purchase Order, and manually change it on my Customer Invoice. Imagine doing this to hundreds of items all the time. I can't do a report and see the history of the Widget pricing or item profitability. At the very least I'd like to get this under control. I couldn't even tell you what my most profitable item is margin-wise. I saw there was an add-on called Item Manager or something but haven't looked too deeply in to that. I'd love to see the item history and what I've sold that Widget for and to whom on a quick report. Many times I haven't sold a particular item in quite a while and need to price it and have no idea what I sold it for previously!

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ear and very appreciative. TIA.
    Are
    your items setup as inventory items? If all the items you sell are set-up as inventory items you can go to the reports section and get a report on the items. Go to reports on the left hand side of the main menu and select Reports-> Sales By Item-> Summary, this report will show Average Price, Avg COGS (Average Cost of Goods Sold), Gross Margin and Gross Margin %. You can select a date range All or, This Year, Last Month etc. Also you can click on a item listed in the first report to drill down to show all sales of that item in the date range you selected, you can then even click on the individual sales to see the actual invoice.
    I hope this helps,

I had a client with the same issue, here is what we did, its kind of a 3 step proccess, first we run a cron from the suppliers website to automaticly update our website so whenever a item changes price it will change on our oscommerce website as well, then we've installed a addon that syncs all data info from oscommerce to quickbooks and there you go!... you probably need a proffesional programer to do that

hi.

My computer is a MacBook Pro (early 2007). In system settings, I have Share Folders turned on for folders on the OS X side. I am not using Mirrored Folders. I have Share Applications checked. The virtual machine is configured to use 2 virtual processors with a total RAM of 512MB, per Fusion suggestion. I can increase the RAM but it doesn't have a material effecct. Accelerate 3D Graphics is turned on but does that affect general applications like Quickbooks? I thought that was more for gaming. For the Network, NAT is selected. In terms of processes which run in the background, Norton 360 and SugarSync are installed, but when I close those applications, no improvement in performance results.

QuickBooks Online Plus might be a good option for accountants, but QuickBooks Online Plus does not have all the vast and quite useful features of QuickBooks Desktop. The features of the desktop version are unbeatable. To get the best of both QuickBooks Desktop and the Online version's benefits, you can host QuickBooks on the cloud server of a third-party cloud service provider.

Is the issue you are having fixed? How did you fix it? Will be really great if you tell me the solution.

Is the issue you are having fixed? How did you fix it? Will be really great if you tell me the solution.

Thread Information