Page 1 of 2 12 Last>>

Thread: HELP - Reached max. number of entries in Quickbook

HELP - Reached max. number of entries in Quickbook

Hi all,

I have a question regarding limitations in Quickbook Pro: We are a small e-business and have reached the max. number of customers and vendors in Quickbooks which is 14.500.

We tried to Archive and condense our database but that eliminates only a few entries. After talking to Intuit support, we were told that you can only archive and condense entries of customers if the product that is associated with this customer is not active anymore. So Intuit told us that the only solution is the Intuit Enterprise solution which starts at $2.500. Somehow I can not believe that quickbooks pro would not allow me to archive and condense a database according to customers only and not if the purchase of the customer was associated with a product that still exists in our store.

Does anybody has experience with this and might even know of a solution within Quickbooks? Or anybody knows of a product that we could use as an alternative?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Joerg

Thanks for your reply roban but as far as I know, Net Suite is a server hosted solution and I would prefer having our book keeping not on an outside server.

I'm not that familiar with QB, what database is it using?

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    I'm not that familiar with QB, what database is it using?
    Quickbooks uses a very old proprietary database that makes btrieve look like state of the art. Quickbooks enterprise isn't much better.

I'm a bit weary of QucikBooks 2007 now that they have integrated the google services. I'm all for integration - just not supportive of a company like google having access to my companies confidential information to feed their databases...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=440

"Google will have direct access to the confidential financial, inventory, client, employee and sales data of QuickBooks users. "

I can see the next google service being ads that popup within your customers software during purchase order creation with things like like - Why buy [product name here] from [your company name here] when you can buy the same product from [your competitors name here] for only $xxx
    ----------------------------
    Gary Harrison
    Interprise Solutions

So it's not possible to alter QB to work with a hardier DB, like SQL server or Oracle or something?

You may want to take a look at Sage

Even the Enterprise version of QB may not be a long term solution for you, since it is limited to 30,000 each of customers, invoices and products. QuickBooks really is not designed for the kind of business that most small-to-medium ecommerce companies do. One possbile solution would be to get an order management program that is designed for your type of business. You can use the order management program to run your day-to-day operations (invoicing, shipping, payment processing, inventory management, customer service, etc.), then export summarized figures for sales, sales tax, shipping, cost-of-goods, etc. as journal entries to QB for your tax accounting and balancing your checkbook. If you Google "order management" you will find some that may work for you, including some that will cost you less than upgrading to QB Enterprise. Or if you send me a private message I can give you more information.

If you're running a small on-line business it is sometimes easier to just create one account for pro-forma customers and simple change the delivery address for each order. That way you don't end up creating a completely new account for each customer. This is even more appropriate if you are unlikely to get repeat custom
    We Introduce You tries to find the best Secured Loans and blogs about finance at the secured loans blog

Quickbooks limitation is so arbitrary

This is a constant frustration with clients as the reord number limitation seems so arbitrary. It seems logical that the volume of your data should be limited by the hardware or storage capacity, not the front end. That being said, Microsoft has made the new SQL Express Edition free for 2005 which would give you a lot more backend database power, in addition to a database that many reporting tools, programmers etc... are familiar with.

I would go with a program that is going to grow with you for a long time to come so you don't find yourself in this position again a year from now.

Good Luck!

Tim
    Comtech Solutions Elite Partner
    www.comtechsolutions.com
    VisionCore - .NET 2.0 accounting & ERP software for SMB's

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCPA
    This is a constant frustration with clients as the reord number limitation seems so arbitrary. It seems logical that the volume of your data should be limited by the hardware or storage capacity, not the front end. That being said, Microsoft has made the new SQL Express Edition free for 2005 which would give you a lot more backend database power, in addition to a database that many reporting tools, programmers etc... are familiar with.

I would go with a program that is going to grow with you for a long time to come so you don't find yourself in this position again a year from now.

Good Luck!

Tim
    Comtech Solutions Elite Partner
    www.comtechsolutions.com
    VisionCore - .NET 2.0 accounting & ERP software for SMB's
    Tim,

To be clear are you the Tim Guerinot who works in sales at Comtech Solutions?
    Gary Harrison
    Interprise Solutions

My experience with QuickBooks was through it's SDK (developers tool-kit). Judging from the limitations you mention, it sounds like it is time to migrate to NetSuite. QuickBooks SDK work is great for customizations required by smaller businesses. Migrating to NetSuite or a similar online accounting package sounds like the way to go.

Nicholas Bessmer

Quickbooks Enterprise still locks down accessibility to the back end database

Hi there,

Just thought I'd share that I am working with several customers who are switching from Quickbooks Enterprise to VisionCore and one of the major complaints is that even though there is a true relational database on the back end, it is not exposed to allow you to integrate other sources of data outside of Quickbooks. Basically, everything needs to be added/modified/deleted through the Quickbooks front end, which is very limiting.

For example, one division of the Department of Homeland Security that we're working with is switching because they want to populate their orders through a Java front end, which they can't do efficiently or in real time through QB.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Comtech Solutions Worldwide, Inc.
    www.comtechsolutions.com

No longer works at Comtech

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Harrison
    Tim,

To be clear are you the Tim Guerinot who works in sales at Comtech Solutions?
    Hi Gary, No, Tim Guerinot doesn't work at Comtech any more and I don't think that's him.

Thanks,
    Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Palm
    Hi Gary, No, Tim Guerinot doesn't work at Comtech any more and I don't think that's him.

Thanks,
    Rebecca
    Thanks for clearing that up. Still seems odd since most CPA's don't get involved in installing software and most resellers put links to themselves and not to the product manufacturers.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

Gary
    Gary Harrison
    Interprise Solutions

Thread Information