Page 2 of 2 12

Thread: How are you Securing your Small Business?

In theory, the smaller they are, the easier it is to hack em. And they can come up with some big bucks if needed.

I used to think that too. But learned when I worked for a small business that because smaller companies dont' usually have compliance in place in what they do, such as keeping data safe they are easier to target. We worked with a company called TitanHQ in Ireland and they were pretty good at securing the business for us. But I've left that company now.

Implement a strong password policy: Encourage your employees to use strong, unique passwords and to change them regularly. Consider using a password manager to generate and store passwords securely.

Keep software and operating systems up to date: Regularly update all software and operating systems to ensure that the latest security patches are installed. This includes software on all devices, including laptops, smartphones, and servers.

Use anti-virus and anti-malware software: Install anti-virus and anti-malware software on all devices to detect and remove any malicious software that may be present. Make sure to keep the software updated to ensure that it can detect the latest threats.

Use a firewall: Use a firewall to protect your network from unauthorized access. This can be a hardware or software solution.

Enable two-factor authentication: Use two-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security to your accounts and devices.

Regularly backup your data: Regularly backup your data to a secure location. This will allow you to quickly restore your data in case of a security breach.

Have a incident response plan: Have an incident response plan in place to quickly respond to a security incident and minimize damage.

It's important to note that cyber security is a constantly evolving field and new threats are emerging all the time, so it's important to stay informed and up-to-date on the latest best practices and technologies to keep your small business secure.xx

Your hosting platform is a wise business investment, then VPN and firewalls. Computer monitoring systems help to a certain degree, but any stricter protocols in this regard can negatively impact staff and how they perceive the company. After the pandemic and lockdowns, employees are more lenient and trusting of employees and provide more work-from-home options during the week.

Look, it may not make sense to have any of these running's but does to the digital nature of many jobs and what's out there, it makes sense to protect yourself and your data with the best systems out there.

In business is important the clients and the safety of databases. Have you solved these questions?

Quote Originally Posted by katiep View Post
    Implement a strong password policy: Encourage your employees to use strong, unique passwords and to change them regularly. Consider using a password manager to generate and store passwords securely.

Keep software and operating systems up to date: Regularly update all software and operating systems to ensure that the latest security patches are installed. This includes software on all devices, including laptops, smartphones, and servers.

Use anti-virus and anti-malware software: Install anti-virus and anti-malware software on all devices to detect and remove any malicious software that may be present. Make sure to keep the software updated to ensure that it can detect the latest threats.

Use a firewall: Use a firewall to protect your network from unauthorized access. This can be a hardware or software solution.

Enable two-factor authentication: Use two-factor authentication to add an extra layer of security to your accounts and devices.

Train your employees: Regularly train your employees on cyber security best practices, including how to identify and avoid phishing attempts, how to handle sensitive data, and how to respond to security incidents.

Regularly backup your data: Regularly backup your data to a secure location. This will allow you to quickly restore your data in case of a security breach.

Have a incident response plan: Have an incident response plan in place to quickly respond to a security incident and minimize damage.

It's important to note that cyber security is a constantly evolving field and new threats are emerging all the time, so it's important to stay informed and up-to-date on the latest best practices and technologies to keep your small business secure.
    Common examples of SaaS applications include customer relationship management (CRM) systems, enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, project management tools, collaboration platforms, and email services, Delphi Data Components has the same parameters.
    SaaS provides several benefits, such as reduced upfront costs, ease of deployment, automatic updates, and the ability to access software from anywhere. However, it's important to consider factors like data security, vendor reliability, and integration capabilities when choosing a SaaS solution. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Hydra Marketing View Post
    Small business are extremely vulnerable to CyberSecurity attacks, Ransomware attacks and hacking.

What steps are you taking to secure your online business?

I recently started using a cybersecurity company that focuses solely on small - medium sized businesses (including underdogs) and is offering free trails to secure any business. Before this, I never really secured any of my websites or businesses with any level of solid or structured cybersecurity. Since I had never been hacked, I figured it was not a necessary expense. Now that all of my teams are working remotely, I decided better to be protected than not.

I am curious to hear what steps small/medium sized business owners are taking to secure their business amidst these chaotic times and this new transitionary period where employees are mainly working from home. I am Also happy to recommend the cyber Security team that I recently started using, as they are ex military and have quite a bit of knowledge & Experience. My free trial began last month with them and I am happy so far with the new levels of peace of mind that I am experiencing.

Looking forward to responses
    Remember that cybersecurity is an ongoing process, and staying vigilant is crucial. Regularly reassess and update your security measures to adapt to evolving threats and technologies. Consulting with a cybersecurity professional can also provide tailored guidance for your business's specific needs.

Securing small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) against cybersecurity threats is important in today's remote work era. In the company that I used to word we did the following:

Employee Training, Multi-Factor Authentication, Software Updates, Firewalls & IDS, Data Backup, Endpoint Security, Security Audits & Pen Testing, Incident Response Plan, Cyber Insurance, Vendor Assessment, Policy Updates.

Among all the items on the list, I believe Multi-Factor Authentication( https://aws.amazon.com/what-is/mfa/ ) and data backup( https://platinumdatarecovery.com/blog/data-backup ) are the most critical. Multi-Factor Authentication adds a crucial layer of security, protecting against unauthorized access. Meanwhile, data backup serves as a vital safeguard, ensuring that you can recover your data in the event of a cyber attack.
    Last edited by Alex7788; 10-02-2023 at 09:54 AM.

That's a smart move, recognizing the importance of cybersecurity for your business, especially in these times of increased remote work and heightened cyber threats. It's crucial to protect your digital assets and customer data. Here are some steps that small and medium-sized business owners can consider:

Cybersecurity Assessment: Start by assessing your current cybersecurity posture. Identify vulnerabilities and potential risks to your business.

Employee Training: Educate your employees about cybersecurity best practices, especially when working remotely. Phishing awareness and proper password management are essential.

Firewall and Antivirus Software: Install and regularly update firewall and antivirus software to protect against malware and other threats.

Regular Updates: Keep your operating systems, software, and applications up to date with the latest security patches.

Data Backup: Regularly back up your data, and ensure backups are stored securely offline or in a separate location.

Strong Passwords: Enforce strong password policies and consider implementing multi-factor authentication (MFA) for added security.

Network Security: Secure your network with encryption and a strong Wi-Fi password. Consider using a VPN for remote workers.

Incident Response Plan: Develop an incident response plan so you know how to react if a cyberattack occurs. This includes steps for containment and recovery.

Regular Audits: Conduct regular security audits and vulnerability assessments to identify weaknesses and address them promptly.

Security Partnerships: Partner with trusted cybersecurity companies or experts who can provide ongoing monitoring and protection.

Your experience with a cybersecurity company specializing in small to medium-sized businesses sounds like a proactive step. Sharing your positive experience and recommendations can be helpful to others in the community. Remember that cybersecurity is an ongoing process, and staying vigilant is key to safeguarding your business in today's digital landscape.

Thread Information