Thread: Computer upgrade, what's the best value for money?

Computer upgrade, what's the best value for money?

Hey there! I help run a local design agency and we're in desperate need of new computers. We currently work with MacBooks connected to external monitors and it works but they slow down a lot and hurting productivity. Out of the computers Apple sells currently, which is the best value for money, and is it worth buying used/refurbished to save some money? We have an Apple store almost next to us so buying them and getting support is super easy which I particularly like, but their new products are incredibly expensive and I'm not sure if I can justify the cost or not.

What do you reckon?
    Thanks!

I'm in this search myself. At one of my jobs we use a Mac Mini OS10.14 (Mojave) to run an event rental company and it works fabulously and we utilize many online applications but we do run on Windows 7. We also use a PC strictly for QB for payroll and financial stuff.

Because I run a mobile home park as well as a consulting biz from home I am looking at desktop solutions for that because my new laptop only has an i3 processor and is ridiculously slow. My printer and router are all wifi and bluetooth which eliminates the need for a regular desktop tower and all the cords.

I have been exploring the micro computer world and even computer sticks to keep my costs low while getting everything I need. Its worth looking into some of these options. Only issue is most f the info if from super techie types that use them for gaming and video editing, rather than business applications. You can even use a TV rather than a monitor on most systems now, again keeping costs low.

My advice is to determine exactly what you use it for and go from there.

You can simply check out the best one in market. I personally don't prefer MacBook these days due to cooling factors, but I like their optimized software very much. Still getting a refurbished models can be money saver, however double or triple check the hardware status before you get in to direct buy. Also check the warranty status in advance, because in refurbished models they offer little less time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glant View Post
    Hey there! I help run a local design agency and we're in desperate need of new computers. We currently work with MacBooks connected to external monitors and it works but they slow down a lot and hurting productivity. Out of the computers Apple sells currently, which is the best value for money, and is it worth buying used/refurbished to save some money? We have an Apple store almost next to us according to this site so buying them and getting support is super easy which I particularly like, but their new products are incredibly expensive and I'm not sure if I can justify the cost or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy1968 View Post
    I'm in this search myself. At one of my jobs we use a Mac Mini OS10.14 (Mojave) to run an event rental company and it works fabulously and we utilize many online applications but we do run on Windows 7. We also use a PC strictly for QB for payroll and financial stuff.

Because I run a mobile home park as well as a consulting biz from home I am looking at desktop solutions for that because my new laptop only has an i3 processor and is ridiculously slow. My printer and router are all wifi and bluetooth which eliminates the need for a regular desktop tower and all the cords.

I have been exploring the micro computer world and even computer sticks to keep my costs low while getting everything I need. Its worth looking into some of these options. Only issue is most f the info if from super techie types that use them for gaming and video editing, rather than business applications. You can even use a TV rather than a monitor on most systems now, again keeping costs low.

My advice is to determine exactly what you use it for and go from there.
    I've seen the little computer sticks but from what I know they're either very low power or very expensive, so not sure if it's the best solution for us - I must admit, they're super cool though! I've been looking into Mac Minis, as from what I've seen they're actually quite easy to upgrade which would be good, but they haven't been refreshed for a while so I'm concerned about them going out of date quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cabylake View Post
    You can simply check out the best one in market. I personally don't prefer MacBook these days due to cooling factors, but I like their optimized software very much. Still getting a refurbished models can be money saver, however double or triple check the hardware status before you get in to direct buy. Also check the warranty status in advance, because in refurbished models they offer little less time.
    Cooling is definitely a problem more recently. It's almost as if you can't physically make an efficient cooler with a plastic straw worth of air flow and a tiny heatsink! I totally agree with you on the software though, OSX is a joy to use. Maybe a 2015 ish higher spec MacBook Pro could work?

Thanks for the replies!

At Initial phase of the business, putting all funds to buy a new computer is not the wisest decision. Go with a refurbished or resale computer which reduces your entire purchase cost and more money you left to run your business.

Thread Information