Thread: Backup/Recovery/Security

Backup/Recovery/Security

I was wondering what do you guys use or recommend to use for backup and storage of data internally and externally.

thanks,

250Gb external USB hard drive, Norton ghost.

Thumbs up

Hello Unvalidated,

I recently bought a backup drive 100 GB from iomega, which also comes with a backup software that's get installed on your server/desktop.

With help of this software you can schedule your backup time and also it maintains different versions of the same files, which is pretty cool something like Visual Source safe s/w, good if you want to roll back to specific version.

It can store encrypted or "as is", if you store as is it becomes another hard drive attached to retrieve files easily, depends on your use.

Security - For security any of the security s/w along with spam detector + popup blocker and windows default security settings should suffice...

Be careful though with the SW and HW versions of IOMEGA. If you upgrade the SW, rather than go from scratch, you could have problems restoring. A friend had a client he set up with IOMEGA and when he got a new drive, he used the same SW, and when he lost data and tried to restore, he couldn't do it because the hardware would back it up, but not restore it because the SW was different than what was written for it. Had to pay 179 for IOMEGA to get his data for him.

How much data is the question we need to hear about backing up local and remotely.

Smile

Hi,

Yes I agree it happens only if you backup your data onto Iomega in encrypted format using their software then restore is a problem but if you setup as an additional backup hard disk i,e "as is" then the files won't be encrypted and you can access it anytime and drag and drop OR work directly on that drive itself, it kind of acts as a secondary hard disk ....

I have selected my data directories to backup so I use like a mirror hard disk, just that it is connected via USB and it is better protected and I choose iomega as they are good in data backup compared to Western digital hdd which crashed twice...
    On top of this I backup onto my DVD's once in 6 mths to be on safer side and I recommend for your business always keep your backed up important data out of office too ...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Unvalidated
    I was wondering what do you guys use or recommend to use for backup and storage of data internally and externally.

thanks,
    Traditional backup methods like DVD’s or tapes will cost both time and money. How about online backups which ensures data away remotely. Further you have options to retrieve, edit and share the resources with your partners.

We have been using this online storage service for years and it works well.

http://www.ibackup.com

Tape is still valid for some

We have clients which, due to confidentiality reasons (lawyers, accountants, consultants, etc) don't feel comfortable with online, offsite backup. In addition, external hard drives are still too bulky to send home each night with the person responsible for office backup. While DDS and DLT drives are still expensive, the flexibility of having multiple backup points and a true media rotation scheme are valuable enough to justify.

Symantec/Veritas' Backup Exec for Small Business Server is priced at a great point and makes sure you can backup your Exchange store while killing the log files to alleviate the space issue they create.

While tape doesn't have the cachet that external hard drives and online storage are getting, it still works great when configured properly. Our firm uses external hard drives as a secondary backup to tape for our own data.

Keith Wheeler
    Responsive Network Services LLC
    Chicago's Small Business Computer Consultants

new cost-effective solution for real-time server backup

The present day data protection market offers several effective solutions as far as data backup is concerned:

Possibility to store server backup images on external media (CD/DVDs), thus providing a high level of data protection as long as the backup media is kept secure.

Possibility to store server backup images on a local network drive. Special server side software enables to secure and store server backup images for the entire network. For this purpose computers named backup servers are used. Such a backup server provides nearly the same level of protection as external media.

However, should the user not have a local network and/or it is inconvenient to record data onto external media, then the server backup images can be stored in a specially secured place on the hard disk. This place is referred to as the backup capsule, which has an independent system layout (e.g. a separate hard disk partition) that will stay operable should the active file system be damaged. To avoid an accidental removing or unauthorized access of the backup data, this partition is hidden and thus cannot be mounted in the operating system.

All the above-mentioned solutions of storing backup images are implemented in cost-effective solution : Paragon Drive Backup Server (http://www.drive-backup.com/corporate/server). It provides much more efficiency and time saving than just copy file method because reinstallation is no more needed. A system administrator can get the system back on track in minutes, not hours or days.

Best,
    Natella

Secured Hosting

Secured hosting is a big deal. To focus only on the backup aspects of hosting is somewhat dangerous to you as a merchant. It is also important to focus on the security of your data.

Make sure you are hosting with a PCI/CISP certified hosting company. Being PCI/CISP certified means that auditors from Visa and MasterCard have actually approved your hosting environment is secure and that credit card data is safe from internet hackers. A simple hard drive in your home or office is probably not the safest route to protect yourself. If this drive gets compromised, you could be out of business.

In terms of backups, it is good to host backups in an off site facility that is secured and backed up nightly.

When you consider the ramifications of having credit card data stolen (being blackballed by credit card companies, fines, etc.), secured hosting really is the only way to go.

Be heedful though with the SW as well as HW versions of IOMEGA. If you climb the SW, rather than go from scratch, you could have troubles restoring.

A simple hard drive in your home or office is in all probability not the safest route to fight yourself. If this drive gets endangered, you could be out of business.

Backup is the most effective way to keep track your work and if your are taking backup on regular basics then you can show your work to anyone according to date and time. I also use backup on daily basics,

Thread Information