Page 3 of 3 123

Thread: Business tips for small business owners

Tips for small business owners:

Learn from your customers.
    Prioritize customer support.
    Stay focused on your niche.
    Deliver an experience your customers won't forget.
    Be time-efficient.
    Think omnichannel.
    Find a balance.
    Don't fear larger, more established competitors.

Here's a list of 200 small business ideas you can work on. We have compiled a list of small business ideas that you can choose These ideas will help you start and grow a successful business in 2021 on the side of your day job.

If you are just starting your business, then you need to learn as much as possible about how to properly interact with customers so that they, again and again, will be placing orders in your online store. I can share a link to an interesting article with effective tips on how to improve customer service in any business in 5 steps. It seems to me that this can be very helpful, especially for those who have just become the owner of e-commerce or offline business.

Hello Ragnar,

Thanks for providing precious business tips for a small business owner. I am sure it will be beneficial for all.

Here are some pieces of advice
    Learn from your customers.
    Prioritize customer support.
    Stay focused on your niche.
    Deliver an experience your customers won't forget.
    Be time-efficient.
    Think omnichannel.
    Find a balance.
    Don't fear larger, more established competitors.

In general, such advice is always useful, but first of all it is not necessary to be upset by failures, it is necessary to draw conclusions and learn from them. I think the most important thing is motivation and perseverance
    Here is useful article : https://www.bigcommerce.com/blog/tip...siness-owners/

Here are seven business tips from several successful Small Business Owners that are worth paying attention to:

1. Build a Support Network
    For Laura Kelly, being a business owner can be an isolating experience at times. “Especially if you’re a solo business owner, you can lose touch with other business owners,” says Kelly, who 15 years ago started The Handwork Studio, a Narberth, Pennsylvania-based company that runs needlework camps and classes for kids in 10 states along the East Coast.

2. Be Very Specific With Your Goals
    Another lesson Kelly has learned over the years: break big goals into smaller ones. “I have 10-year goals, I have 3-year goals and 1-year goals, and I have quarterly goals for my business,” she says. “When it come to revenues, I will break them into smaller numbers so they’re easier to obtain. If I know I need to make a couple hundred thousand in revenue in the first quarter, I say, ‘What does that mean in terms of camp sales? How many campers do I need to obtain?’ If I know I need 800 campers to reach the revenue goal, then it’s easier to figure out how to achieve it. These kinds of really specific goals can drive your actions.”

3. Delegate Whenever Possible
    When the Marks Group, a technology consultancy, started in 1994, it was just Gene Marks and his dad. “He was doing sales and I was doing service,” Marks recalls. Then his dad died. “When he passed away, I took it over and realized I couldn’t do it all, and hired some new employees. I’ve learned that you can make a lot more money when you have other people doing it for you.”

4. Keep Your Overhead Low
    Eight years ago, it dawned on Marks that he was just sitting in an office costing nearly $30,000 a year in rent, while his employees were out working with clients. So Marks got rid of the office in suburban Philadelphia and made his workforce virtual. Along the way, he replaced the landline with an Internet-based phone that cost about $10 a month, and he ditched computer servers for the cloud, too.

5. Find Your Best Niche—and Stick With It
    Trying to do too much too soon? Feel like you need to be all things to all clients? Maybe diversifying isn’t always the best strategy. Sometimes, it’s good to replicate the magic if you have something that works really well. That’s been the successful strategy for Ace Apparel, says Marc Mathios, who along with his two brothers are the third generation to run the 78-year-old family business.

6. Keep Your Day Job Just a Little Longer
    It is a common trap: A person gets excited by a small business idea, quits his or her day job—and then runs out of money and fails.

7. Avoid Distractions at All Costs
    A few years ago, Seattle-based content marketing company AudienceBloom was operating so swimmingly that its founder and CEO Jayson DeMers decided he could get away with focusing on a second startup that he was intrigued with. DeMers would come to regret the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jessicaherron9 View Post
    Here are seven business tips from several successful Small Business Owners that are worth paying attention to:

1. Build a Support Network
    For Laura Kelly, being a business owner can be an isolating experience at times. “Especially if you’re a solo business owner, you can lose touch with other business owners,” says Kelly, who 15 years ago started The Handwork Studio, a Narberth, Pennsylvania-based company that runs needlework camps and classes for kids in 10 states along the East Coast.

2. Be Very Specific With Your Goals
    Another lesson Kelly has learned over the years: break big goals into smaller ones. “I have 10-year goals, I have 3-year goals and 1-year goals, and I have quarterly goals for my business,” she says. “When it come to revenues, I will break them into smaller numbers so they’re easier to obtain. If I know I need to make a couple hundred thousand in revenue in the first quarter, I say, ‘What does that mean in terms of camp sales? How many campers do I need to obtain?’ If I know I need 800 campers to reach the revenue goal, then it’s easier to figure out how to achieve it. These kinds of really specific goals can drive your actions.”

3. Delegate Whenever Possible
    When the Marks Group, a technology consultancy, started in 1994, it was just Gene Marks and his dad. “He was doing sales and I was doing service,” Marks recalls. Then his dad died. “When he passed away, I took it over and realized I couldn’t do it all, and hired some new employees. I’ve learned that you can make a lot more money when you have other people doing it for you.”

4. Keep Your Overhead Low
    Eight years ago, it dawned on Marks that he was just sitting in an office costing nearly $30,000 a year in rent, while his employees were out working with clients. So Marks got rid of the office in suburban Philadelphia and made his workforce virtual. Along the way, he replaced the landline with an Internet-based phone that cost about $10 a month, and he ditched computer servers for the cloud, too.

5. Find Your Best Niche—and Stick With It
    Trying to do too much too soon? Feel like you need to be all things to all clients? Maybe diversifying isn’t always the best strategy. Sometimes, it’s good to replicate the magic if you have something that works really well. That’s been the successful strategy for Ace Apparel, says Marc Mathios, who along with his two brothers are the third generation to run the 78-year-old family business.

6. Keep Your Day Job Just a Little Longer
    It is a common trap: A person gets excited by a small business idea, quits his or her day job—and then runs out of money and fails.

7. Avoid Distractions at All Costs
    A few years ago, Seattle-based content marketing company AudienceBloom was operating so swimmingly that its founder and CEO Jayson DeMers decided he could get away with focusing on a second startup that he was intrigued with. DeMers would come to regret the decision.
    This has to be one of the most insightful pieces of advice I've seen here on the forum. Love this and found new bits and parts that I'll be experimenting on my own. I'd like to add a little bit on the first point though. Building a support network or a list of connections is definitely an isolating process and I know it firsthand. It's going to take a lot of mental toll on you.

You'll suddenly question your friendship and relationship with everyone. "Why aren't they supporting my business?" "Why aren't they helping me promote my stuff?" "Why are they so skeptical if I'm going to succeed or not?" These are just a few questions that can pop up in your head when you're strutting down the hard road of being a small business owner–don't worry, 80% of the time, it's just you overthinking.

So if you actually want to establish good connection with others, you need to know your stuff. You have to master your people skills and negotiating skills. Learn to read body language, to take on cues and social norms. Whether they're someone you know or a new potential partner, you need to up your negotiation skills when it comes to business terms and have a gauge at the back of your mind on what you expect from working together. Try to read up on guides like this that teach you all the necessary skills to secure a great deal.

Lastly, don't be afraid to let people go. It happens and its the toughest part. There are just people out there that don't want you to succeed but you have to move by that–not everyone in your life is meant to stay.

Persistence is the key to becoming successful in business come what may, in which business you steps in. You have to be persistent.

Thread Information