Thread: Shopify notified me that my domain is missing a CNAME record.

Post Shopify notified me that my domain is missing a CNAME record.

They suggested going to my domain provider's DNS settings for my site and setting the CNAME record to shops.myshopify.com.

So, I checked out my domain provider's DNS settings. It turns out that my www is using an A record and has been working fine. If I want to switch to a CNAME record, I'll have to delete the A record first and then set up the CNAME record.

I'm a bit worried about this change taking up to 48 hours to take effect and potentially causing downtime for my website during that period. Of course, I can handle that.

What's really on my mind is whether this will impact the SEO for my Shopify store.

Do I need to make these adjustments? And if I do, will it affect the SEO? xx

Switching from an A record to a CNAME record for your Shopify store's domain can impact SEO and cause downtime. While the change may temporarily disrupt access for up to 48 hours, it's generally SEO-friendly if managed properly. To minimize impact:

1- Plan the switch during low traffic hours.
    2- Ensure Google can access your site during the transition.
    3- Update your Shopify settings to reflect the new domain.
    4- Update Google Search Console with the new domain.
    5- Monitor SEO metrics post-transition.

If executed correctly, SEO impact should be minimal, and the benefits of Shopify's platform may outweigh temporary disruptions.

I have verified these steps while changing the domain of my Shopify website

Thanks
    Best Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nora Black View Post
    They suggested going to my domain provider's DNS settings for my site and setting the CNAME record to shops.myshopify.com.

So, I checked out my domain provider's DNS settings. It turns out that my www is using an A record and has been working fine. If I want to switch to a CNAME record, I'll have to delete the A record first and then set up the CNAME record.

I'm a bit worried about this change taking up to 48 hours to take effect and potentially causing downtime for my website during that period. Of course, I can handle that.

What's really on my mind is whether this will impact the SEO for my Shopify store.

Do I need to make these adjustments? And if I do, will it affect the SEO? xx
    Switching from an A record to a CNAME record for your Shopify store's domain can impact SEO and cause downtime. While the change may temporarily disrupt access for up to 48 hours, it's generally SEO-friendly if managed properly. To minimize impact:

1- Plan the switch during low traffic hours.
    2- Ensure Google can access your site during the transition.
    3- Update your Shopify settings to reflect the new domain.
    4- Update Google Search Console with the new domain.
    5- Monitor SEO metrics post-transition.

If executed correctly, SEO impact should be minimal, and the benefits of Shopify's platform may outweigh temporary disruptions.

I have verified these steps while changing the domain of my Shopify Agency website

Transitioning from an A record to a CNAME record for your website's domain has the potential to influence your SEO, which underscores the need for a cautious approach to this change. It's essential to manage the transition with care. You can do the following things-
    Keep the A Record: Don't delete the old A record. Keep it as is.
    Add the CNAME Record: In your DNS settings, add the new CNAME record as instructed.
    Test It: Make sure the CNAME record works properly before making it final.
    Update Internal Links: Change the links on your website to use the new CNAME record.
    Set Up Redirects: Create 301 redirects from the old A record to the new CNAME record. This tells search engines about the change.
    Watch and Test: Continuously check your website's performance and SEO metrics.
    SSL Check: Ensure the new CNAME record supports SSL for secure connections.

By following these steps, you can switch to a CNAME record without deleting the A record, ensuring minimal impact on your SEO. The duplicate A record and 301 redirects help maintain accessibility and SEO rankings during the transition.

I had to make a similar DNS adjustment for my Shopify store. You're right about the potential downtime when switching from an A record to a CNAME, but in my experience, it didn't take the full 48 hours to propagate. As for SEO, this change shouldn't negatively impact it. The CNAME record is just a way to point your domain name to Shopify's servers. It doesn't alter the content of your site, which is what search engines primarily focus on. Making sure your DNS settings align with Shopify's recommendations can actually ensure smoother site operation, which is good for both user experience and SEO in the long run.

I totally understand your worry about the DNS change. I had a similar situation when I moved my handmade crafts website to a new platform. Switching from an A record to a CNAME was a bit daunting, but it turned out okay. In my experience, such changes didn't really affect my site's SEO in the long run. Sure, there might be a brief period where things are updating, but search engines like Google seem to adapt quickly to these DNS adjustments.

The potential downtime can be a bit nerve-racking, especially when you're running a business. For me, it was more like a few hours rather than the full 48, and it didn't have any lasting impact on my site traffic or SEO.

And speaking of online presence, I've been using a Facebook adspy tool to keep an eye on what my competitors are doing with their ads. It's been really helpful in shaping my own marketing strategies.

Thread Information