Page 1 of 3 123 Last>>

Thread: Need more traffic and more sales

Need more traffic and more sales

Hi,

I recently launched a site called jelessycollection.com or jelessy.biz.

The product is very hot at retail with a lot of celebs. wearing the jeans and jackets.

I bought Adwords from Google with the hottest being Designer Jeans. Though I am getting a good click through rate, sales are disappointing.

Those who click through go directly to the jeans page.

The prices are the same as those at retail and except for California the shipping costs is less than the sales tax.

Any ideas to improve both traffic and sales would be helpful.

Best,

Jelessy

The first two stores on the locator do not have city and state info.

The "Fashion Corner" button is not doing anything.

I don't think you are making it clear immediately that the jeans can be ordered directly on the site. At first I thought it was just a store locator site. I had to browse before I realized you have online shopping.

I asked my 30 something daughter in Seattle to take a look and give me her comments. She majored in English and I use her to proof a lot of my writing. You might get something out of this:

I also hate dead menu items. If they aren't ready to sell skirts and tops, they should take them out of the menu. Although, the dead links do indicate that those items (might) be available soon, perhaps enticing me to come back later to see more stuff. Still, it's annoying. They should be clickable and lead to a page with examples of what they're planning to sell (the way they have done with the Capri jeans) in those categories and information on when that will be available.

The top image bar with the logo is too pixilated. Needs to be replaced.

Two of the store locater addresses are missing town/state.

The images are fantastic. Very crisp, nice bright color, excellent lighting, very drawing for a female shopper. They should keep these images of perfect models as the default images. However... since "perfect fit" is their supposed mantra and business advantage, they should have a link from each product to "show me the fit", where you can see this article of clothing on a model close to your size. That can be done either with photo examples, or with a link-up to one of the "my model" cgi webservices that many clothing vendors use, where you create your body type profile and a 3D model is created with your body type, that you can try the clothes onto. They have used such incredibly perfect bodies for their models that I as a shopper would assume that I can't wear those clothes since I don't have that body.

At http://www.jelessy.biz/fashions/40.html this phrase "Low Rise Boot-cut Denim" is duplicated.

Very nice product info / order placement panel.

Bootcut vs Boot-cut. Get it consistent throughout the webpage. Get a proofreader to inspect the whole site for consistency.

The color palette doesn't accurately reflect the fabric color representation. For example, no "blue" variant at the color palette would lead me to expect the color on the jacket shown in that very same picture. Use photographic fabric swatches for color palette instead. Suggestion: make it possible for viewing two fabric swatches at once, side-by-side so that customer can preview how well two items would coordinate before buying multiple items. Even better, make a preview panel with "tops" above and "bottoms" below, so I can preview this jean in this color with that jacket in that color. That would be really simple to do and VERY helpful for shopper.

In Shopping Cart,
    a. "Subtotal for Jelessy" reads weird. Should just be "Subtotal".
    b. Options should read "Size" not "Sizes" since each line only shows one item in one size.
    c. Standardize orthography: Mid Rise (caps) and low rise (no caps) both appear. (To get this cleaned up, they should fill their shopping cart with one of each item, in each color, each size, etc. and see where the inconsistencies are.)
    d. "Boot-cut, low rise Red Label" appears in shopping cart - "denim" is missing.

Grammatical / spelling errors in Return Policy: "with you purchase" "shippment" (GET A PROOFREADER!)

Good job including PST on telephone numbers. Many online businesses forget that.

When I click on Cords in left menu, the top of the menu still reads "Jeans: Denim".

Sometimes, Cords disappear entirely from left menu. That needs to be fixed! (For example if you click on "*Jeans" from left menu, cords disappear. If you click on the Boot Cut Low Rise jeans, cords comes back to the menu.)

Need more traffic and more sales

Thank you very much for you and your daughters excellent remarks. I saved this on a word doc. and will be evalutating each recommendation.

Best

Originally posted by Rik Rasmussen
    I asked my 30 something daughter in Seattle to take a look and give me her comments. She majored in English and I use her to proof a lot of my writing. You might get something out of this:

I also hate dead menu items. If they aren't ready to sell skirts and tops, they should take them out of the menu. Although, the dead links do indicate that those items (might) be available soon, perhaps enticing me to come back later to see more stuff. Still, it's annoying. They should be clickable and lead to a page with examples of what they're planning to sell (the way they have done with the Capri jeans) in those categories and information on when that will be available.

The top image bar with the logo is too pixilated. Needs to be replaced.

Two of the store locater addresses are missing town/state.

The images are fantastic. Very crisp, nice bright color, excellent lighting, very drawing for a female shopper. They should keep these images of perfect models as the default images. However... since "perfect fit" is their supposed mantra and business advantage, they should have a link from each product to "show me the fit", where you can see this article of clothing on a model close to your size. That can be done either with photo examples, or with a link-up to one of the "my model" cgi webservices that many clothing vendors use, where you create your body type profile and a 3D model is created with your body type, that you can try the clothes onto. They have used such incredibly perfect bodies for their models that I as a shopper would assume that I can't wear those clothes since I don't have that body.

At http://www.jelessy.biz/fashions/40.html this phrase "Low Rise Boot-cut Denim" is duplicated.

Very nice product info / order placement panel.

Bootcut vs Boot-cut. Get it consistent throughout the webpage. Get a proofreader to inspect the whole site for consistency.

The color palette doesn't accurately reflect the fabric color representation. For example, no "blue" variant at the color palette would lead me to expect the color on the jacket shown in that very same picture. Use photographic fabric swatches for color palette instead. Suggestion: make it possible for viewing two fabric swatches at once, side-by-side so that customer can preview how well two items would coordinate before buying multiple items. Even better, make a preview panel with "tops" above and "bottoms" below, so I can preview this jean in this color with that jacket in that color. That would be really simple to do and VERY helpful for shopper.

In Shopping Cart,
    a. "Subtotal for Jelessy" reads weird. Should just be "Subtotal".
    b. Options should read "Size" not "Sizes" since each line only shows one item in one size.
    c. Standardize orthography: Mid Rise (caps) and low rise (no caps) both appear. (To get this cleaned up, they should fill their shopping cart with one of each item, in each color, each size, etc. and see where the inconsistencies are.)
    d. "Boot-cut, low rise Red Label" appears in shopping cart - "denim" is missing.

Grammatical / spelling errors in Return Policy: "with you purchase" "shippment" (GET A PROOFREADER!)

Good job including PST on telephone numbers. Many online businesses forget that.

When I click on Cords in left menu, the top of the menu still reads "Jeans: Denim".

Sometimes, Cords disappear entirely from left menu. That needs to be fixed! (For example if you click on "*Jeans" from left menu, cords disappear. If you click on the Boot Cut Low Rise jeans, cords comes back to the menu.)

Thumbs up Good "Get More Traffic"

Before I even got into having a domain name I used a automatically hosted domain name (Sub-domain). Even using a subdomain, I got about Five Hundred Thousand hits in about 3 weeks using... http://www.trafficswarm.com/go.cgi?344141 . You should check it out, it's actually very very helpful.

Lacking mktg fundamentals

Jelessy -

Some honest comments, for what they're worth...

Great looking site. Absolutely love the music. Beautiful design.

The bad news based on my experience ---
    - you're discovering what I've seen so many discover...getting qualified traffic is one thing, getting them to buy is another. Summary - with all due respect, the site neglects most tried-and-true basic fundamentals of mktg, enough that would kill any site.

- the site doesn't follow any of the basic principles of natural search engine mktg; will be difficult to get listed naturally for your important keywords.

- not anywhere near enough product details easily found. Folks want info, regardless of whether they're making a rational or emotional decision, especially true for women, and even more true at your price points.

- great looking designs done by a designer (tech or developer backgorund) rarely produce great results in terms of sales, which is the whole point of an ecom site. The key is to have a designer collaborate with a marketer (consumer motivation & online mktg background)...they're 2 distinct disciplines, rarely does one have the skill of the other.

- takes too long to get to product; 1 too many clicks & too much time for the next page to appear coz of the way the site was developed.

- if you did usability research (investing in this will pay huge dividends) my guess is you'd discover that there's a disconnect between the mood the music & design create, and what the product stands for...especially re the home page (is this a travel site, European dating service, or what?)

- there's also a disconnect between the site's mood/image, and the AdWords PPC ad. The ad promises "stylish like the stars", but the site delivers a European flavor. The ad must be in sync with the landing page in terms of feel/mood and completing the thought.

- how does one get product help? There's no phone #, no live help, no product reviews...equivalent to walking into a store with no staff available, just product & the consumer is left to her own devices.

- the site must build trust; there's no testimonials, no stars' names/pics/endorsement, not enough product detail, no 3-rd party logos (BBB, Veri-Sign, etc.)

- use AdWords to test different wording/offers. Link them to & test different landing pages that jive in mood and product with what the ad promises. You'll find what works & what doesn't from that, and can go from there. (hint - people want to get to product immediately)

- use an exit pop-up survey to try to learn why people leave w/o buying; collect email addresses...not everyone is ready to buy on 1st visit (collect in-store too)

- integrate your efforts. Promote the site in-store & vice-versa (A Store Locations link isn't enough.)

- offer gift-wrapping (I was looking at your site for a gift for my daughter)

- above all, stick to mktg fundamentals...there's a reason the same principles hold true year after year after year. Study LandsEnd.com...do what they do except use the mood/feel/imagery your brand stands for.

Hope this helps.
    Steve
    DiPietro Marketing Group
    DiPietro.biz

relevant article -
    http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/solut...le.php/3495786

Damn, you are good!
    Some of your recommendations are already on the site but they are the minor ones. Your analysis of the adwords and the mood is very subtle but correct. I am going to print this out and go through everything you recommend.
    By the way, I was once SVP Marketng of Mattel and I have to tell you, you have extremely good marketing skills.

Traffic Swarm seems like a scam. Is it legit?

I don't know. I have paid nothing and got nothing so far. How did you know I was a member?

I didn't know you were a member. I saw it in the post from EhIdunno. I figured you tried it. How long have you been a member?

Also, what successful marketing methods have you tried so far?

I have been a member, non paying, for less than a week. I have tried nothing that they have suggested. I do use google adwords and 80% of my traffice comes through that.

tips for user navigation for better conversion

Hi,

I came up on this message thread searching for information tips. Presenlty I am working on re-architecting the design http://www.nutrisystem.com, and in the process wanted to see what people think about it presently and what could be better. The comments from Rik Rasmussen and his daughter for Jelessy were one of the best and I need some information like that to improve our user experience with our site. Also the points from Steve DiPietro are great and we did do our part with google adwords, and we are looking into natural search engine techniques.

I would appreciate any ideas and tips to improve our site in terms of user experience and conversion.

Thank you.

Hi, I spent some time on the site and found the home page very confusing with lots of special deals. The banners for these deals were not active. The live chat function is very nice, although I did not use it because the que was long. You should show more of the food in color on your site. I can not tell easily what types of food I would be eating other than some technical description. The endorsements are nice but are they real. You do a good job of asking for the order a lot.

I would say, show more real food that you get and get rid of the business on the landing page and if you are promoting something make it an active button. Funny I found your FAQs quite explanatory.

Fred

Hello everyone,
    I have a question, I have a wonderful professionally designed website and I have so so sales, my problem I need to bring more traffic. I spend lots of money of advertising and have lots of rec. links, etc I am not sure what else I can do to get more traffic. ANy out of box ideas?
    Thank you!!!

Thread Information