Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last>>

Thread: Magento vs. WordPress for e-commerce

Magento vs. WordPress for e-commerce

Hello:

I am a part-time web developer and have been working for a friend of mine since June on his small business website. We originally launched his website using WordPress and used gravity forms for the purchase orders which worked well because originally the business model was to do some sales online but the goal was to market the product to retailers.

Since then we have shifted into a e-commerce based website. We are still using WordPress and have it integrated with WooCommerce.

My friend, the owner, is happy with the system but wants to have a CRM and somehow have the system set up so that when they take phone orders they don't have to enter everything into excel.

The new marketing director mentioned using Magento. I have dabbled in Magento in the past and I think it's a great system. There are extensions for CRM's like Salesforce and it looks like there are a lot more resources for setting up wholesale orders and ext.

I think my only concern is that we since our website is not only eCommerce, what is the flexibility of creating pages with sidebars or full width and ext. with ease like in WordPress or regular HTML websites.

Since Magento is free and open-sourced, it's almost guaranteed that you can do whatever it is you want to do.

Based on what I've read, though, it's important to be careful as you're adding extensions -- certain extensions can negatively impact others, and vice-versa.

You can always find an officially-licensed Magento developer to partner up with and help you build out the exact functionality you want.

You can also check out the boards, which are pretty packed with helpful information:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards
    Sean B.

At our company we prefer Magento over WordPress for the flexibility and security aspect. We use Wordpress for building dynamic websites and for blogging only.

I should also add one caveat -- you can get Magento to do almost whatever you want it to do, but sometimes this has to be done very carefully. It's not drag-and-drop like some other free shopping cart applications can be. You're more than likely going to want to work with an experienced developer (there are Magento-licensed ones out there) to create your site and have it looking the way you want it to look.
    Sean B.

You should go for prebuild and self-hosted eCommerce software like Daily Deal Builder and many others because using any Open Source software you have to face many challenges with less security and many more like below:

Requires a good hosting environment:
    If your website is not properly hosted and you don’t have a good server, your users may experience slow load time. This means you will need to pay for good, reliable hosting.

Resource intensive:
    Magneto/Shopify requires a lot of space and memory. You will need to appropriately optimize your usage to cut down resource space so the site can perform better.

Heavily layered and complex coding:
    You may need the help from a developer for some of the more complex customization of your site since Magento does not use best practice programming and coding for deeper level customization.

Hi, important is how easily you can move data from one webapp to another. Easy integration is significant for saving time and money. No one has the time to re-type the same data in different places. I suggest Magento, Shopify and Bigcommerce, which all have good integration options to both CRM, accounting and email marketing solutions.

magento is best ecommerce platform & better than wordpress.

There is a lot of great information in this thread, and I'd love to echo that recent statement about hosted shopping carts like Bigcommerce.

They're a partner of ours (along with Magento, Volusion, and a host of other webstores, so this isn't me playing favorites or anything), and I've seen first-hand some of the work that goes into creating a store with Bigcommerce.

I know that their solution is pretty easy to use right out of the box. It'll make it nice and easy for you to get your store looking and feeling the way you want it to - I've seen some pretty neat-looking designs come out of Bigcommerce, and from people who have little to no experience with design, coding, etc.

Their solution is also quite new, and is very regularly updated, so it's more than likely going to support the integrations that you'll need to get things working exactly to your liking. Integrations aren't as complicated with a solution like Bigcommerce, which is built to be highly customizable right out of the box, without a lot of complicated code work or anything like that.
    Sean B.

I think the decision of choosing an eCommerce platform should be flexible, choosing an eCommerce platform which can provide maximum number of features and esay to use is a wise decision.

I think you should go with wordpress.

Wordpress is mostly created for blogging, and later on it became great platform for everything. You can easily add new plugins and have e-commerce site, or just normal site with nice CMS system, blogging platform and so on. And this is a point, wordpress can do almost everything, that means it's not specialized in any certain area.

On the other hand, Magento is specialized only for E-Commerce, its focus is on customers, products, orders, sales and so on. It has a lot of external modules which can be easily installed and most of them are free of charge. So, If you want to find some eCommerce platform, definitely I recommend Magento, because it was created for that purpose. If your website is not focused on ecommerce, then you can pick wordpress.

wordpress is a great platform for blogging and magento is for ecommerce and it is opensource for ecommerce solution i would strongly recommend magento.

Hey,

Magento is Enterprise level eCommerce software, which gives you rich functions, flexibility and security. There are additional modules and extensions available to power your online sales and visitors experience.

According to my experience, magento is very flexible and easy to use at back end and give compete administration of your eStore. You can also find so many free themes & templates and shared hosting of it over internet, if you are start up company.

With Magento Commerce you can rest at ease whatever payment gateway you have, they most likely have it ready for you.

Well, Magento is versatile, adaptable and even holds the obliged characteristics to have a best ecommerce shop. Exceptional thing is that Magento has a developing group which thusly can help you when required.

Thread Information