Page 1 of 3 123 Last>>

Thread: E-Commerce Web Design

E-Commerce Web Design

Can somebody please tell me the difference between hiring a web designer that will build a site for you using a certain platform (i.e. big commerce) as opposed to just going the Big Commerce site and just doing it yourself? Anything and everything y'all can think of would be appreciated, I'm just trying to get a better understanding this, thanks.

It is called BigCommerce (without the space). They allow you a free trial anyway, so why not just try it?

Here is my 2 cents:
    When hiring web designers to build your sites, the advantages and disadvantages :
    +Your site would be be the exactly the same as your requirements
    +Easy to customize
    +It takes time to build this kind of website
    +Spend more money on building the site
    +This will be effective if you run a big business

The differences when you will buy an template which is available on the market are:
    +Many trendy and beautiful themes are available as a result you have many choice of how the website look like
    +teh website style it can be used by another user who buys the same one as yours
    +More money to do the customed works
    +Easy to build a site on your own as you can down load the quickstart package, upload to host server then install following the guidelines
    +Save money to build the site
    +Get the quick support from provider
    +This is suitable with small and middle business model
    Hope this help

Hello Friends,

When it comes to eCommerce websites, or an eCommerce redesign, you need a partner that is focused and experienced in providing companies the best in professional e-Commerce web design solutions. With a team of experts under one roof, OuterBox's goal is provide you with all of the necessary design, development and marketing services you need to be successful online. We've worked on hundreds of eCommerce projects and know what it takes to get sales. With platform features such as unlimited products and categories, to a secure one- page checkout, we make online shopping easy for customers and easy to manage for website owners. From selling a product or subscription, to taking payments for a service, our team can develop the custom eCommerce website perfect for your business. There is no limit to what your eCommerce site can achieve when providing your products or services online.

Thanks and Regards,
    Agili Ron

We run into this question several times a week. The only reason you'd hire a designer to create your website is to make sure your site is fully optimized and has the finished look you need. We have been using the Drupal platform for about a year now and it is free to install. The reason we get hired to create the websites is pretty much like anything that comes out of the box, the finished product is not that appealing to the end user and the set up for the site is complicated if you don't know how to get each page and menu correctly optimized.

I think it also depends on how much time/energy you want to put into it. A designer is already aware of the aesthetic and functional design of a website much like yours... basically they know how to make what looks good work for your needs.

You might know what looks good, but you might NOT know the stuff that needs to go on behind the scenes... basically it may take a designer less time and less stress, and it might boil down to "how much is your time worth?" If you have to learn a little code (CSS and/or PHP) to tweak a wordpress template; manipulate some photos in photoshop (or Gimp); research plug-ins to optimize SEO (after you figure out what SEO is in the first place), add contact forms, shortcodes, social sharing, etc... your site might not ever get done.

If you know a little bit, and like to have control over everything--dive right in, but have someone programmed into your phone in case all goes horribly wrong and you're ready to cry "uncle"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tomaraOSB View Post
    I think it also depends on how much time/energy you want to put into it. A designer is already aware of the aesthetic and functional design of a website much like yours... basically they know how to make what looks good work for your needs.

You might know what looks good, but you might NOT know the stuff that needs to go on behind the scenes... basically it may take a designer less time and less stress, and it might boil down to "how much is your time worth?" If you have to learn a little code (CSS and/or PHP) to tweak a wordpress template; manipulate some photos in photoshop (or Gimp); research plug-ins to optimize SEO (after you figure out what SEO is in the first place), add contact forms, shortcodes, social sharing, etc... your site might not ever get done.

If you know a little bit, and like to have control over everything--dive right in, but have someone programmed into your phone in case all goes horribly wrong and you're ready to cry "uncle"
    It's true, it does always boil down to "how much is your time worth". There's little in life that was can't do ourselves if we have the time to learn how right? Well....... maybe not brain surgery lol

Quote Originally Posted by DotWebSolutions View Post
    It's true, it does always boil down to "how much is your time worth". There's little in life that was can't do ourselves if we have the time to learn how right? Well....... maybe not brain surgery lol
    I reckon that I could learn brain surgery. And there are plenty of spammers to practice on. If I did it all wrong, they wouldn't lose much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by C0ldf1re View Post
    I reckon that I could learn brain surgery. And there are plenty of spammers to practice on. If I did it all wrong, they wouldn't lose much anyway.
    Lol, crazy spammers, we have several social sites as well as our design site, I actually found a way to stop then, well unless they are really sitting there creating the accounts, I wanted to tell everyone but then I figured that if I tell everyone how to stop the auto registrations, the spammers will just reprogram and I'll be back to swatting flys.

I used to manage our website myself, but nowadays I am convinced to hiring a professional. Although it is more expensive, but since then I have more time to do my real job, which causes a bigger income, so alltogether it was a good decision. But I guess it depends on one's preferences.

A friend of mine started to use 1and1. He is quite satisfied with it, maybe if you like it, you could give a try

I think hire developer or designer to design your website as you want is way to meet your business model. However if you don't want to spend more money you can choose software template but It may not has look and feel totally like as you want.

I would suggest you to hire a designer n build your website on whatever platform you want to. It will save your time & get quality of work.

I'd also mention that it depends on what stage of your ecommerce site is at. If it's your first version of the business and it's not going to require a lot of custom functionality, then I could see just using a cookie cutter ecommerce platform which should get you up and running faster and cheaper. This way you can get a feel for if your products/services are selling before allocating the proper funds to do the site right.

One issue with using a hosting solution is if your site starts to do well and you decide you want to host your site somewhere else, you will most of the time NOT be able to transfer the website files and you have to start all over again from scratch. I recommend you own the software and host it where you want. This way if you want to transfer the site to another hosting provider, you have all the files needed to run your site. If you want your ecommerce website done correctly, then hiring a web designer obviously makes sense.

Web users are much more savy then just a few years ago too, so if an ecommerce site even remotely looks home made, or just using a common template users are more likely to just bounce out and continue surfing the Internet. If you think you can just slap up a site using a template site and you'll make $1,000,000.00, you're dreaming.
    Last edited by Approachnet; 11-17-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Approachnet View Post
    ... One issue with using a hosting solution is if your site starts to do well and you decide you want to host your site somewhere else, you will most of the time NOT be able to transfer the website files and you have to start all over again from scratch. I recommend you own the software and host it where you want. This way if you want to transfer the site to another hosting provider, you have all the files needed to run you site...
    Yes, your hosting service provider wants to make a profit from you. He may be willing to invest a lot to give you a working eCommerce site, provided he knows that you can't move elsewhere, and will have to pay him a monthly income forever after.

Thread Information