Thread: SEO for related services on the same or separate sites?

SEO for related services on the same or separate sites?

I am in the process of redesigning one of my (very old) websites from the ground up with SEO as the focus. I have one main site with several smaller sites that provide a variety of very closely related services in the same industry. Originally, I had intended to gather all of these services together on my one main site, which receives thirty times as much traffic as all the other sites put together, and include those services as part of the new development.

However, I have been doing some research on "siloing" and I have discovered that, from an SEO standpoint, it is better to keep the services I provide on separate domains, even though they are in the same industry and all very closely related. The argument goes that if I provide all of these services on one site it will dilute the "authority" (in the sense of "focus") of the site.

The other side of the coin is that having several sites that provide similar (but not the same) services or products on separate domains may have some negative impact on the ranking of all sites. I don't see that it would but several "knowledgeable" people have said this but it may be just them trying to prove they know something about SEO — thinking at the same time that I don't — when in fact they have lots of knowledge but not much common sense. I don't see Google punishing anyone if they have several businesses on different sites. So what if they are related. Google is not out to get us. Why would Google, in effect, put limits on the number and type of businesses I own? I have never hidden the fact that I own these separate sites or that they are connected. In fact, I have publicised it and linked them together on purpose. However, the bottom line is that I truly do not know if it is better or not because I have not tried it any other way except to have them linked together on separate domains.

To give you a completely imaginary example, let's say I own redpaintservice.com, bluepaintservice.com, greenpaintservice.com and orangepaintservice.com. All services are closely related, i.e. they are connected and offshoots of each other in the "paint service industry". Orangepaintservice.com has grown to become a big player in its service field and I want to incorporate all of these paint services on my orangepaintservice.com site. Is it better to keep them separate on their own specific keyword related domain name with the exact service they provide included in the domain name? Or is it better to take advantage of the traffic at the well established orangepaintservice.com domain name while taking a chance that it might lower my ranking all across the board?

Also, if I do keep them on their separate keyword related domains, can I link them from my main business of orangepaintservice.com? Will Google penalize me for linking my sites together?

Any and all input, scoffs, debunking or clarification is appreciated.

It is good to make separate pages for your services its a fact but i didnt learn anywhere that we should make separate domains and put our services there for SEO point of view.

Regards
    Writing on Flowers

Very Nice this is really such Nice & Wonderful Explanation about SEO Services !

Thread Information