Thread: Major technology firms should be responsible for the proper disposal of e-waste

Major technology firms should be responsible for the proper disposal of e-waste

Hi,

What to do with old computers?? The problem of disposing off the e-waste is growing all the more. In developed countries, hundred of PCs are being discarded almost every year and are being sent to underprivileged communities.

Nepal is one of such country that has refused to receive such charity because of health concerns. And yes, if the necessary precautions will not be taken, more will be added to the list. I think, all the major technological firms should be accountable on how and where they are discarding the e-waste and what steps they are taking to prevent its ill-effects. What do you say?

~Maneet

There are so many precious metals that can be reclaimed from discarded computers that a conscious recycling effort is needed. In my hometown we recycle by taking our garbage Tech firms should also follow the same guidelines.

So with this logic, should vehicle manufacturers be responsible for vehicle disposal or allow for a business, like scrap metal / junk yards, to create the method to fix it?

Responsible how? It was sold to the consumer and is the consumer's problem.

Major technology firms should be responsible for the proper disposal of e-waste

The only way I can see that would work would be for companies to offer a collection service once you've finished with their hardware, but that's not going to happen much, if at all.

It's more up to the consumer to properly dispose of our waste. It's all made for our benefit, because without us buying all this stuff it wouldn't be made in the first place.

Some recycling companies just send motherboards, for example, to India where people de-solder the useful components and then burn the rest, contributing even more to global warming.

Who can you actually trust to dispose of this waste responsibly?

If I were in the refuse business I would allow this refuse and take the initiative to recycle the scrap. The refuse business has on opportunity to make money with the refuse and this in turn can create more jobs. So I pay the refuse company to take whatever I put in the trash and they in turn take my trash and make more money. It becomes a win-win for everyone involved with the process.

It is 3 parties problem:

1. Technologies firm keep release new device and software, it is indirectly forcing user to get new device, so that it is compatible with new software.

2. User habit, some user keep changing device for latest model. User is the one who purchase the problem.

3. Government - implement rules on e-waste and technologies firm production.

Additional info, all technologies devices is produce by rare earths. When mining rare earths, it also create lot of problem and damaging to environment.

Thread Information