Thread: Question about website design

Question about website design

Hello everybody!

Would you rather create design for your site yourself or hire a professional? Do you think that website design means a lot and professional design increases trust to your site? Or design is not the main thing, content and quality of services mean a lot more? I would appreciate your replies.

Quality of service, Website design and content carry the equal weight. As you know the competition in the e-commerce industry is getting tougher and tougher. So any thing of them couldn't be compromised, otherwise many potential sales leads might be compromised. I'd say that if you're confident, skilled and knowledgeable enough to perform, control quality and manage all the tasks yourself, then best of luck for your project. Otherwise it'd be risky, better is to hire professionals.

I agree with Bliss and would add that you must have a pretty good idea of what you want going forward. A designer will ask you questions about your specific thoughts about design before they begin. It would be a good idea to have a list of 5 sites that you admire and that contain elements you'd like to see in your own either in terms of colors, fonts, layout or style.

hire professional web developer to launch a attractive and meaning full website

Thank you everybody for your replies! I've asked this question not because I need a design for my site but because I wanted to know third party opinion if professional design really plays a big role. And I agree that quality of service, website design and content carry the equal weight. But I think that sites have different purposes and some websites don't really need a professional design. Clean, not overloaded design created by a non-professional can work well for some websites which offer quality services.

I prefer to do my own website design, having worked as an Art & Design Technician for 20 years, and teaching Photoshop for a lot of that time, but I think that professional looking design is extremely important and can mean the difference between getting a customer or losing out to a competitor with a better looking website.

However, without quality content and services even the best designed site will fail, so you've got to get the balance right.

To be honest from experience i find that the design of the website didnt really matter when it came to making sales but of course your site needs to look sensible, i havent hired anybody to design any sites id say just to keep it really simple as sometimes hired help causes confusing looking websites even if they look cool some people still find them confusing.

Of course a site needs to be well designed. The navi has to be clean and simple. And the overall look of a site adds to the professionalism you feel from that company. I think you can design your own site if you are a talented web designer. But for the most part leave it to the designer.

Thread Information