Page 1 of 2 12 Last>>

Thread: Opening a store online

Opening a store online

I am new at this whole ecommerce thing and I want to start building a store online. I have no idea where to start or which companies to go with. Is there something easy to understand? I don’t have the biggest knowledge in programming or anything either. I’ve seen people talking about magento and volusion, but what about other ones like 3d cart or lead commerce? What do you guys use? thanks!

This has been asked and answered many times in the forum. Try searching.

I have gone through the forum and seen a lot of feedback on magento and volusion. But I was more curious about lesser known companies such a lead commerce, core commerce, or ajshoppingcart. I want to go over my options before diving right in.

Thanks

Hi Jackie,

But why are you curious about lesser known options when you've recognized and established options like Magento and volusion at hand?

I think you must develop a customized PHP based store with order tracking feature.
    Accounting section can also be attached with this. Rest depends upon your sales volume and stock nature also.

Hello JackieRand!

If you don't have any programming knowledge and a beginner in ecommerce, Magento may seem too complex to you. If you are going to start small business you'd better to choose something more simple, i would recommend free CS-Cart Community. Also as far as i've noticed many people also use Zen Cart or Prestashop.

Thanks for your input you guys!
    I've looked at Magento and gone through their demo and it does seem a bit complicated. I've even tried to walk through their video tutorials, but I think I was even more confused after I finished with it.

I have yet to try out Zen Cart or Cs-Cart, but I will soon.

Does anyone know if these companies, or any other companies have good tutorials to follow?

I don't really want to jump into Volusion either because of all the really mixed reviews with it. People are either on one end or the other, and it's hard to choose them.

CS-Cart help can be accessed HERE but I think your best help can be gotten from the support forums HERE

what about OpenCart?

Thanks you guys! I'm definitely sifting through all these options.
    Hoping to find one soon!

Just do some research into different store fronts. There are a lot of good ones out there but you need to first figure out what you really need.

Hi

I think you need to keep looking around and thinking about what you actually need (along with extra features you may need later). There are lots of great ecommerce solutions some that work with many of the popular website builder software. Be wary of solutions that take a percentage of your sales profits!

I have used ShopIntegrator and found it reasonably priced, easy to use and flexible with a variety of different types of websites (Weebly, Moonfruit, own build etc.). It may not be suitable for you but heres a link just in case: http://shopintegrator.com

If you're looking for something simple, powerful and affordable then I'd recommend shopperpress

It runs off the wordpress framework and it's dead simple to install and set up.

I use it all the time, have messed about with Magento but just found it too time consuming (though powerful!)

Anyway shopperpress should have everything you need and if you can use a blog then you'll be able to set up an online store!

It really depends on what you are lookign for (and you bidget ! ). You can start small and go as large as you want. As stated above if your looking for something simple, a one-click WP installation plus a free ecommerce plugin could do. If you are looking for something more complex I would try to seek advice from an eCommerce consultant.

As for platforms in particular I prefer Magento basically for it's large community and extensions.

If you're just starting out, I'd go with Wordpress with an e-commerce plugin or one of the self hosted solutions like shopify, volusion or one of the others. Other options like Magneto are more powerful than you need at this point, and will require money for web development.

Thread Information