Thread: Firewall?

Firewall?

What do you use for a firewall? We are a small office situation with one remote location and are considering Untangle. I really like that they offer everything in one package without having to buy multiple machines like what I've seen with bigger players, but I want to hear from some people actually using them. Anyone tried Untangle? Pros/cons or feedback welcome. Btw, we aren't interested in anything but a paid solution; my boss wants a support contract and a proven track record, so no free stuff suggestions. Thanks!

A firewall is a device or set of devices designed to permit or deny network transmissions based upon a set of rules and is frequently used to protect networks from unauthorized access while permitting legitimate communications to pass. As well as there are different types of firewall has available based on your needs use the firewall to protect the system without any contradiction or without any viruses’ problem….

Without a firewall, a computer can be hijacked in a matter of just a couple minutes. Even though this may seem a bit severe to some who are used to just turning a computer on and off without any defensive protection besides an antivirus protector, which many believe is the answer to all computer problems.

Last edited by Emel; 02-10-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Thank you for your valuable information... Really a valuable resources about the firewall...

We use Agnitum Outpost pretty good firewall with full displayed statistics.

Thank you for sharing your valuable information...

Hello
    it's very important to have firewall in the computer.
    it can really protect from viruses and also hackers. it also help to protect your valuable data.

Firewall?

this is what we use and are very happy...

The Barracuda NG Firewall is a family of hardware and virtual appliances designed to protect network infrastructure, improve site-to-site connectivity and simplify administration of network operations. Beyond its powerful network firewall, IPS and VPN technologies, the Barracuda NG Firewall integrates a comprehensive set of next generation firewall technologies, including Layer 7 application control, WAN optimization, Web filtering, anti-virus, anti-spam and network access control enforcement.

Hello Friends,

A firewall can either be software-based or hardware-based and is used to help keep a network secure. Its primary objective is to control the incoming and outgoing network traffic by analyzing the data packets and determining whether it should be allowed through or not, based on a predetermined rule set. A network's firewall builds a bridge between an internal network that is assumed to be secure and trusted, and another network, usually an external (inter)network, such as the Internet, that is not assumed to be secure and trusted.
    There are several types of firewall techniques:
    Packet filter: Looks at each packet entering or leaving the network and accepts or rejects it based on user-defined rules. Packet filtering is fairly effective and transparent to users, but it is difficult to configure. In addition, it is susceptible to IP spoofing.
    Application gateway: Applies security mechanisms to specific applications, such as FTP and Telnet servers. This is very effective, but can impose a performance degradation.
    Circuit-level gateway: Applies security mechanisms when a TCP or UDP connection is established. Once the connection has been made, packets can flow between the hosts without further checking.
    Proxy server: Intercepts all messages entering and leaving the network. The proxy server effectively hides the true network addresses.

Best Regards
    Agili Ron

Nice Explanation Agili !!!

Recently started using simplewallsoftware. It is software firewall installed on Linux machine.

Does Hardware Firewall Is more secure than software Firerwall on custom Hardware ?

Good thread and nice explanation by the participant thanks for the sharing your knowledge, please suggest me the is there good software available for the managing firewall easily?

There are different types of firewalls depending on where the communication is taking place, where the communication is intercepted and the state that is being traced

hello..
    Some basic information about firewall is that it is software or hardware-based network security system that controls the incoming and outgoing network traffic by analyzing the data packets and determining whether they should be allowed through or not, based on a rule set.If you required more or detail information about firewall then i will help you

A firewall is a special software program or even may be hardware that helps screen out viruses, worms and hackers who try to enter to your computer system over the network or Internet. We are not using Untangle, so I've no idea about this. We are using WatchGuard firewall to set up our network policy to block viruses and hackers to our systems.

Overall, it is solid firewall if you subscribe to all packages. I used only demo'd but very impressed with the ease of installation, wish I could get executives to be more proactive and get approval. Would definitely make my life easier.

Thread Information