Page 1 of 2 12 Last>>

Thread: SEO facts

SEO facts

I have created a site of my own and would like to get lots of inputs from your people regarding the search engine optimization. I have some basic ideas about the SEO, indexing, keywords but what I want is that to know in details about them. I have made a site for this purpose so that I can earn money by using Adsense. You can find more than 100 articles in my site. When I look for my site in Google then I get some information in my site which I have not written there. I haven’t made that specific description.

.SEO techniques are not simple. Meta Tags, for instance, were once considered the end-all-be-all of SEO, but now are virtually ignored by the search engines. And, sure, tons of keywords on each page sounds great, but did you know that the search engines can detect if a keyword has been used too many times on a given page? The bottom line is this: careful site evaluation, research, planning, and patience are necessary factors of a long-term SEO victory

Quote Originally Posted by derecksmith262 View Post
    I have created a site of my own and would like to get lots of inputs from your people regarding the search engine optimization. I have some basic ideas about the SEO, indexing, keywords but what I want is that to know in details about them. I have made a site for this purpose so that I can earn money by using Adsense. You can find more than 100 articles in my site. When I look for my site in Google then I get some information in my site which I have not written there. I haven’t made that specific description.
    You need to have backlinks built for your site. You can do it yourself or have a company to take care of this.

Creating quality content and getting good links will help

It is not possible that google shows another stuff which you not placed in your website.

If the description of your site is one that you have not done yourself, it's possible the the site is listed with ODP/DMOZ and that Google is using the ODP/DMOZ description written by the ODP/DMOZ editor when the site was listed.

Find out if your site is listed with ODP/DMOZ and if it is, look at the description used.
    The Old Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla23 View Post
    It is not possible that google shows another stuff which you not placed in your website.
    I agree. Google pick most relevant information to your search term from a page and show it in the search results. You may have put it in meta tags and if it is the case, it wont be shown on the page. So check it out

Yeah the meta tags are important

... but don't forget the DMOZ description ... if your site is listed therein.
    The Old Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by scrub View Post
    Yeah the meta tags are important
    But "everyone" says Google has been ignoring META tags.
    The Old Sarge

No thats not true google is not ignoring META tags but it gives less importance compare to Title and Description.

So it always proves beneficial if all METAS like title, tag and description are well mentioned.

jamith,

You're right. Google itself has never said any such thing. What it HAS said, is that it ignores the keyword meta tag.

And here's a direct quote concerning another specific meta tag:

Q: Does this mean that Google ignores all meta tags?
    A: No, Google does support several other meta tags. This meta tags page documents more info on several meta tags that we do use. For example, we do sometimes use the "description" meta tag as the text for our search results snippets ...
    (bolding and Italics added)

source: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...-meta-tag.html
    The Old Sarge

Here's another quote from Google concerning site descriptions/snippets that appear in SERPs:

Google's creation of sites' titles and descriptions (or "snippets") is completely automated and takes into account both the content of a page as well as references to it that appear on the web.

We use a number of different sources for this information, including descriptive information in the META tag for each page. Where this information isn't available, we may use publicly available information from DMOZ.
    source: http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35624
    The Old Sarge

thank you brother, you are looking some expert about the seo, i have an question can you help me
    Does anyone have any facts or guidance on the SEO impact of using interstitial ads? They appear on a number of "big budget" sites like top-tier newspapers, magazines and video sites yet my guess is that Google and others would take a less favorable view of small sites using these ads. They are quite admittedly annoying, but can be profitable and beneficial in some situations.

Last edited by zaibi1230; 10-26-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Quality links will be the most important - find links within your niche. Once of the best techniques is to see what back-links your competitors have and try to get the same links. So if i wanted to rank for "www.fishbowlinventory.com/articles/inventory-management/small-business-inventory-software" small business inventory software, I would Google that keyword, look at the top 10 sites, and try to get the same backlinks they did. If they're at the top they're doing something right. A tool that helps you see all the links your competitors have is opensiteexplorer.org - by SEOmoz.

Thread Information