Thread: Servers????

Servers????

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site but very excited to see what I can learn.

I have a few questions I was hoping to get some feedback on. I am working at a physicians office with a total of 16 employees. And we are trying to implement an Electronic Medical Records System. The problem is I think our IT guy went over the top on computer equipment and supplies.

We have 30 desk top computers (which we use about 10 of) and 4 servers. we have a security camera system and that's it.

My questions is how many servers do we really need? and what really needs to go on each server? and how long do these servers and computers last? I think we paid about $25,000 for each server. It just sounds a bit over kill.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Thanks
    islandtyme

SQL Server? I recently lost sql password with sql server? have some best sql password recovery to help me recover it? I didnot find it.

Yikes. Seems a bit much. I'm not an IT guy myself, but I had a company set up servers for me, I have about double the computers being used and half the servers and we're happy with everything. I would look into that. Where do you live? If it's close enough maybe I can suggest my IT guys.

Reply Servers????

When you were quoted on computer equipment, was your office on a growth plan? It sounds like extra workstations were purchased in anticipation of new hires.

The server hardware you need depends more on the number and types of server applications you need. For example, a single robust server platform can support file & printer sharing, practice management system, and patient record system. Your solutions change if you are looking at webhosting or a patient portal.

Your IT solutions provider should be able to explain to you clearly the purpose of each piece of hardware they install in your office.

Thanks,
    GS
    Gravity Systems, Inc.
    GravityBlog

I'm going to say it most likely depends on the type of practice. If it is a group of family practitioners then it sounds like a bit much but maybe not. If it is a surgical physician then I can perhaps see it. Are the four servers in use? You always need a fail safe server to take the load when one decides to fail.

The desktop computers may be a bit much but if it is at receptionist stations then yes a desktop is warranted. If it is one of the nurses using it I could see a laptop being much easier than a desktop in every room. But just like the servers you need a couple of spares just for the time when one decides not to work.

First, I think your IT guy went over the top and probably implemented the wrong approach with the desktops. In your situation a VDI (virtual Desktop solution) would probably be best as it’s a medical office. This would centralize desktop control and provide a common interface. Most medical facilities, insurance, trading, etc. benefit from securing their patient data from end user access and solves many compliancy issues. Additional, it’s easier for small IT personnel to maintain. Secondly, the number of service depends on application requirements, HA and/or DR needs. 4 servers may be correct. That being said, I don’t agree with the 25K per as only database servers should be in this range. Infrastructure load for 18 employees shouldn’t need that much horsepower. A good X86 server should be in 12-15K range unless they had someone install it for them.

Note that this thread was started -> 08-24-2010, 08:50 AM and the original poster hasn't been back since then

i think the best would be to use SQL server.
    but i would love to know , which server did you pick eventually for your site.
    update us.

i think the best would be to use SQL server.
    but i would love to know , which server did you pick eventually for your site.
    update us.

Hello Friends,

Server technology and benefits notwithstanding, you don't want to make technology purchases that won't benefit your bottom line, facilitate key business processes or otherwise make your life easier. While there is no single litmus test that you can use to determine if you need a server, some general guidelines do apply.
    If your office only has three or four staff members who share files across networked computers, surf the Web or send email, you may not need a server at all. However, once you have five or more employees working together on a network, a server can provide a central location for your important files, shared applications and other resources you regularly use, like project documents and even an image library. In addition, if you want to implement any of the following systems or applications you'll need a server:
    • File and print server
    • Microsoft Exchange system or other e-mail server
    • Firewall or other security system
    • Website or company intranet
    • Database
    • ERP or CRM solution
    • E-commerce solution
    And these are just the tip of the iceberg. In general, if you need to put a computer system in place that processes, shares or otherwise manages data, you'll need a server.

Thanks and Regards
    Agili Ron

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Note that this thread was started -> 08-24-2010, 08:50 AM and the original poster hasn't been back since then
    Well Its okay this thread will be beneficial for other peoples, at least readers which may dont have any problems like posted in threads question they will get improved their knowledge. thanks for Posting this information.

Thread Information