Thread: Backup Hardware

Backup Hardware

I'm looking to backup our server here. I was thinking about using an external hard drive, but nearly every hard drive was found weren't compatible with our OS. We are running Windows Small Business Server 2003. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Is your OS detecting the external hard drive? If not, then you must check your USB ports.

Apart from that u can always write that data onto dvd's or even upload data over the net .... online storage is really cheap these days.

Small Business ServeR BACKUP

I have over 10 small buisness that run SBS 2003 and at all locations we use Acronis backup software with a Dell RD1000 disk backup solution. IT is external USB with storage options that run from 40GB uncompressed to 300GB complressed.

It is easy to setup, manage and of course frequently audit your backups. A backup is only as good as ensuring that the data can be recovered. We have completed 130GB full server recoveries in under 2 hours with this product so I swear by it.

Hope this helps,

ORITGUY

If you just have a handful of servers without any special needs, I simply would use an external, bootable harddisk (connected via firewire or usb or whatever) to clone the entire server disk to this harddisk regularly (the exact backup plan may depend upon your internal requirements).

I must confess that I don't have a product recommendation at hand for a backup software that works under Windows server, but there are surely many available also for this platform.

Anyway, cloning the entire server disk has the advantage that in case of a physical harddisk crash, you simply need your backup harddisk and boot the server from this disk. So you are up relatively quickly with no efforts and can plan further repair of the server at a convenient time (less traffic, no user requiring a working system).

I would totally avoid online storage solutions, because they appear not very reliable to me - and you don't know what happens with your precious data seen privacy or security aspects.

Furthermore restoring could be a problem. Consider that in the case of a server crash, you would first need to re-install the entire OS, software, re-configure anything...

Such solutions may work if you want to backup just certain directories (websites, databases, etc.) - but then I would, as recommended previously, use CDs or DVDs.

We're using Nova Backup Enterprise to a 30 GB tape drive on Server 2003.

many storage facility of data

many solution of your problem. you store your data in a another PC, DVD, USB drive, online on net storage, compares your data and save it in external any hardwar.

BLACKbox 1Xd provides the solution for automatic central-data-storage and regular automatic backup facility. BLACKbox 3X is a combo of proxy server, mail server and data storage/backup control system, which consists of all 1Xd features. The follwoing features are available in BLACKbox:
    Forces users to save data on server or network device
    Assures all data centralization, leaves no discretion to users
    Automatically backs up data in versions at regular interval
    Reports backup health everyday by email
    Enables, Disables and Reports Pen drive Activities
    Isolates data department wise, hierarchy wise
    And because it is developed keeping the requirements of SMEs (SMB) in mind, it is very cost effective too.

Any feedback about Blackbox 1xd ?

Hello Friends,

Hard drives fail. If that happens, it’s usually expensive and sometimes impossible to recover all the lost files. But there are several ways to ensure that your precious photos, videos, emails and other files survive a computer disaster. You can back them up to CD or DVD discs, to external hard drives, and even to online services.
    There are two main approaches to backing up your computer. The first, and possibly the most common, is to make copies of important files. The second is to back up your whole PC hard drive. This makes it easier to recover from a disaster, but uses more space.

Thanks and Regards,
    Agili Ron

Ebusiness Software

hi...
    If you have problems about external harddrive then why you cant use claude computing for backup.Many popular web site use that.

Cloud computing is one of the best sourch to safe you data back up.

you can search online service.

Thread Information