Page 2 of 5 1234 ... Last>>

Thread: online backup

Quote Originally Posted by autoecart
    I have never heard of it before looks cool but I already have to much software as it is.

But it (carbonite) is only 227K long. That is not a large file by any means.

I find the amount of actual data on my PC I want to keep protected is pretty small. My back-up strategy is to Zip it up and email it to a few friends and family.
    We Introduce You tries to find the best Secured Loans and blogs about finance at the secured loans blog

Hassle

The problem is that you have to do that frequently. What if the data you lose
    in between one of these email dispatches is the critical one? Instead, if the backup happens quietly and automatically in the background without interrupting your regular schedule, that has some value for most people.

My backup strategy:

1. create a 15 GB partition called Backup
    2. run a backup program. In my case Nova
    3. incremental backup every 4 hours to backup partition
    4. every week do an incremental backup to DVD

I agree, different strokes for different folks. Backup is not fun, it is like
    flossing your teeth. I would not like to think about it. Just set it and dont worry about it till you lose your hard drive. Imagine scrambling to find out where I placed my most recently backed up DVD.

Talking Back that B**** Up! :)

I have been looking for a method of convenient backing up with internet access for a long time now and have used many non-internet access types.

I recently came across http://www.seagate.com/products/retail/mirra/index.html
    Seagates's MIRRA. These units allow internet access to your files.

I am hearing that they may be considering offering a RAID version allowing multiple hard drives and various RAID configs. For small businesses I would recommend two such units: one at the office and the other at a remote site, like you home which still allows easy physical access.

The interesting thing with MIRRA is that it backs up files as you save them rather than just by a schedule. This is a much better system as file restoration is then a snap, and literally no files are lost. Read the site above for more detail as to what the system offers, it offers all if not most of what any small business should require with a simple non techie interface.

When the MIRRA system and its capabilities are compared to the cost of online backup, it becomes an obvious choice. Keep in mind that you don't have to have an internet connection to use it.

This even in its present form seems to me a better option than a paid hosted back-up, holding you files somewhere in the internet. What happens if the host goes belly up?

I love the internet and all it offers but there are just something I like to be able to see and touch and access easily (physically) and that includes what I have to back-up.
    Last edited by Raver; 08-25-2006 at 05:45 PM.

Wink

It is great, assuming that the MIRRA system does not go up in flames or
    stolen.

Funny how quickly folks forget that people have different needs when it comes to backing up data. What's right for one person/small business may not come even close for another.

The starting question to ask yourself: how long can I go without a backup before my ability to conduct business is in jeopardy? Can you afford to lose a minute's worth of data, an hour, 12 hours, a day, 3 days, a week? That helps you figure out if you need constant back up or if you can affored to do a backup once a day, once a week...etc. It's varies from business to business, industry to industry.

Forget the "less filling, tastes great" diatribes. Figure out what's right for you and look for products that meet your needs and your budget.

Having a hard drive crash as I just did, I do know the importance of having a backup. Unfortunately, I did not have one - no excuse.

We tried Higher Ground Software but it actually made things worse so I am sending it off to Drive Savers.

One thing we were looking at is the EtherFast Network Attached Storage. Some people have said it is a little slow but if you are only using it as a backup, I don't think that should really matter as much.

Corey...

Ouch. That hurts. But hey, most of us have been there. Even the experts. Take a look at this article:

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3613271

We actually have Ontrack on our servers and I got a copy for my own computer but of course, I just don't use it. We did try the ontrack recovery but it did not help - and we were afraid to edit the drive with the their drive edit program. We figured there was enough damage done to it.

After this one - since this had files mainly from my customers and things from the past 6 years, I decided that after I get this data, backups were going to be a mandatory procedure.

[full disclosure: I do work for an online backup company!]

I do work for an online backup company, and I always try to let people know upfront.

I'm not a big Carbonite fan, simply personal preference; mostly in the way it integrates into the XP shell and the limited feature set.

The client we use has what I believe to be a more complete feature set, including restoring from the web, in-file delta and the ability to backup multiple computers to the same online backup account.

I think it really comes down to what you need in an online backup client and what you are willing to pay for it.

Definitely shop around, though, and don't neccessarily settle for the first one that 'works' for you. You may be missing out on a lot of great features! A lot of companies (including mine) offer free trial accounts and some don't even want a credit card for a trial (none of that 'charge you if you don't cancel' business!)

Staples is actually offering Carbonlite free it seems for a few days. My biggest concern of course is handing over my data to a third party

Cory,

At least up to this point and to the best of my knowledge, Carbonite 'keeps the keys' and theoretically has access to your data. Quite a few of the other services (mine included), encrypt the data before it even leaves your machine. One reason I stress to people 'don't lose your encrpytion key!' If you lose it, we don't have it!

So what happens if their HD crashes and that is the only place they have that key?

Thread Information