Page 3 of 5 12345 Last>>

Thread: online backup

Carbonite - easy to use, but does it do what you need it to?

I signed up to Carbonite two months ago (tip - click on the 'radio users click here' link to get 3 months free instead of the usual 15 days). It's simple to install and I trust what it will back up (much more so than with other software).

I have quite a lot of stuff - around 35GB and my machine is online for about 15-20 hours a week (I don't see the point in keeping it on when I'm not at home and use a laptop the rest of the time, sync'd with the desktop as needed but not a trusted backup because it's easy to nick). I shift files around which is why I wanted an online backup rather than an occasional write to DVD or an external HD, which I also do and keep remotely when I can.

But now the reality ...

After two months Carbonite is still only halfway through its initial backup.

It seems though that Carbonite rapidly backs up small detritus but struggles with large files. This bothers me and should bother you if one of those large files you want to keep safe is your email PST file (I keep all my mail locally). This changes daily and is in constant use ...

Meanwhile today I opened up another Carbonite account to share a large file with a colleague. It's a 500MB video. Now, I expected it to take a while but after 5 hours (384kbps upload on cable) the Carbonite progress says it's not even 1% complete. I don't know if it says that because it only assesses progress based on completed files or if it really is going to be a waste of time.

Good value, but in my case the jury's out on whether it will actually do what I need.

Thats why we have basically looked into buying a new computer ourselves. I need one and then use this one for to complete backups - probably by Acronis.

Quote Originally Posted by therev
    But now the reality ...

After two months Carbonite is still only halfway through its initial backup.
    I work with Kevin at Backup To The Web, so keep that in mind...

We have one client that bought 100GB of storage. We offered him a "seed" backup (backup to your external drive, then send it to us), but he wanted to back up directly. He started on 10/6, and he passed 53 GB a few minutes ago. That's over 4 GB per day, but YMMV.
    Last edited by Cliff Peterson; 10-18-2006 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    So what happens if their HD crashes and that is the only place they have that key?
    I recommend to my users that they pick a long but memorable encryption key. I'll give you mine: "what this country needs is a really good five-cent cigar".

All lower case, no punctuation. That way, it's long enough to be complex, but easy enough to remember.

I'd throw that into the 'strong' encryption category by changing it to:

'what this country needs is a really good five-dollar cigar' and make it:

wtcn=arg$5C

Uppercase, lowercase, symbols and numbers.

Well it seems thet Eco-Data was able to recover my data. I just received the 60M text list of the files / folders they were able to recover

I had Staples ship a hard drive over to them (otherwise they charge $20 a DVD to restore these files) - they restored them to the new hard drive for "free". But at least I knew how much I was going to pay.

Cool try Titanize

Yea, I tried Carbonite and iBackup too... XDrive used to be the big thing a few years ago, but recently I was invited to Beta test this new service called Titanize [www.titanize.com] it's 5GB at $5 a month... the big difference really is usability and added features... try it out, lemme know what ya think.

Yeah this is pretty normal these days ... my isp gives this facility free of cost.

Carbonite Online Backup is simple with very few options. Mozy offer more control; however Mozy is recently acquired by EMC, which puts the free/cheap service in question as EMC is unlikely to sell cheap stuff. However there are other better online backup service providers. Please read it below:

http://backupreview.googlepages.com/default.html

http://ftpreview.googlepages.com/index.html

I will probably be chastised for this, and I'm not bashing Carbonite, or any other system, but I've been very happy with Remote Data Backups. If you want to test drive their service, they do offer a 30 day free trial at
    http://offer.databu.com

Options are good.
    <flamesuit on>

don't understand all the my site your site discussion. Just stumbled on this site. Here is what I do for a 80 million dollar company:

2 locations, one location has two win2003 servers, the other one 2003 server. total corporate data, roughly 100gb. I backup site 1 to a separate computer. I use deltacopy. this only copies data that has changed, e.g. pst(outlook) file is 2gb, but during the day only 10mb has changed(added, updated, deleted). the backup only syncs the change. so I backup site 1 to a spare pc, I then do an online(through a vpn) to site 2. Site 2 syncs to a spare pc. So spare pc on site 2 has current site 1 data and site 2 data. I then backup to tape, then(this is the part for this forum), I sync all company data to a pc at my house. Only cost is electricity for my server to run 24x7. This is about $6 a month. much better than these online services.
    Brian

Latest Cloud Storage Hiccups Prompts Data Security Questions

In case anyone is still viewing this thread, I found a relevant article that I'd like to share with you guys:

Latest Cloud Storage Hiccups Prompts Data Security Questions

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9130682

Keyon
    http://www.infostreet.com
    Keyon Thomas
    infostreet.com

I've been very happy with Carbonite. I used it to back-up about 30GB of data and while the initial back-up did take a few days, subsequent incremental back-ups run in the background, so I don't even notice that they are taking place.

I really like the fact that the performance hot on my computer and broadband connection is negligible during back-up. Taking a long time to upload large quantities of data is going to be an issue with all online back-up services, particularly if you switch off your computer at the end of every day.
    What would happen to your data if you had a fire, flood or lightning strike? Find out why online data backup is essential for every business.

The online backup solution is a good one. Many of my customers use the one I offer and are happy with it. It will depend on how much space you need.

I don't like carbonite very much. Mozy is good for home use. iBackup and SOS Backup are better for business. Here is a good one that provides the value and features for both: Online Backup

Thread Information