Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last>>

Thread: online backup

Hybrid View

online backup

Just read this review: http://redir.internet.com/rss/click/...le.php/3618861

has anyone tried this yet? I just downloaded it. Looks pretty cool! Is it really $5/month? Sounds too good to be true, but I can't find a catch.

Quote Originally Posted by danh00
    Just read this review: http://redir.internet.com/rss/click/...le.php/3618861

has anyone tried this yet? I just downloaded it. Looks pretty cool! Is it really $5/month? Sounds too good to be true, but I can't find a catch.

I've tried a few different online backup companies. I used to use
    Evault and pay $85/month to backup just a few GB. I read about Carbonite in the Boston Globe a
    couple of months ago and it is terrific. You can download a free trial
    at http://www.carbonite.com <http://www.carbonite.com/> . It costs only
    $50/yr for unlimited storage (though it's only practical for < 50GB if
    you have DSL or a Cable modem. They're a new company, and have some
    minor bugs to work out, but all in all it's been great. They call it
    "set and forget" like that old cheesy TV infomercial. But it really is!

Carbonite is a no no...

I tried their service, piece of crap. Well, they managed to make a big press of itself. The truth is it is not even backup software; it lacks basic features that should be inherently part of any backup software.

The reality is there are too many online backup companies, but none of them are perfect, and Carbonite is certainly a no no... XDrive has the biggest name, but its client software crashes a lot. iBackup seems a little better, but still not quite usable. Now I use DriveHQ WWWBackup, solid, stable, does versioning, and uploaded 2GB of data without any problem. The drawback is it cannot backup files in use. hope this will be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylippman_ny
    I tried their service, piece of crap. Well, they managed to make a big press of itself. The truth is it is not even backup software; it lacks basic features that should be inherently part of any backup software.

The reality is there are too many online backup companies, but none of them are perfect, and Carbonite is certainly a no no... XDrive has the biggest name, but its client software crashes a lot. iBackup seems a little better, but still not quite usable. Now I use DriveHQ WWWBackup, solid, stable, does versioning, and uploaded 2GB of data without any problem. The drawback is it cannot backup files in use. hope this will be fixed.
    Obviously you are a competitor to www.carbonite.com, see the review in the first post. Nice try Jerry, carbonite has been working for me. I will check out your website as well.

Quote Originally Posted by krrish
    Obviously you are a competitor to www.carbonite.com, see the review in the first post. Nice try Jerry, carbonite has been working for me. I will check out your website as well.
    Man, you are so funny! OK, I was cheated by people like you to ever try Carbonite a while ago. Look, I saw lots of good reviews for them on Download.com so I gave it a try. and it's just piece of crap. Until somebody pointed out that all the reviews were posted on the same day. By whom, you guess?

Review of carbonite.com

Man, you are so funny! OK, I was cheated by people like you to ever try Carbonite a while ago. Look, I saw lots of good reviews for them on Download.com so I gave it a try. and it's just piece of crap. Until somebody pointed out that all the reviews were posted on the same day. By whom, you guess?
    After I read Jerry Lippman's remarks above I went to download.com to see what the reviewers have to say about carbonite.com. There is an editorial review posted today. Clearly, it gives 4 out of 5 stars for Carbonite. I quote from the Editorial review: "Carbonite Online PC Backup is a worthy investment of time and money, particularly for users who want a hands-off solution to backing up their data and those wary of losing or accumulating too many physical backups."

Jerry, Are you saying that download.com editor is also a company hack?

The reader can go to this URL and check it out for yourself.
    http://www.download.com/Carbonite-On...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    Last edited by krrish; 07-30-2006 at 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling

I don't consider that obvious at all. His post mentions several backup systems, and he even mentions an issue he has with the one he uses. That doesn't sound like a competitor, just a consumer.

Before this conversation degenerates, please, if you intend to continue the discussion, include specifics, rather than "it's good!", "no it's not". Comments like those tell no one anything. Jerry, please mention some of the basic features the product lacks, and whatever the other flaws you may perceive in it may be.

Pros and Cons of Carbonite.com

Jpnyc,

I already gave the URL which gives the pros and cons:

http://www.download.com/Carbonite-O...tml?tag=lst-0-1

download.com is a site which gives an unbiased view on this topic.

I am an academic, and I came to know about Carbonite thru
    a college students service site. This gives the Pros of carbonite.
    Go to

https://www.dormaid.com/mit/parents/backup_info

Jerry will provide you with all the cons if he ever tries Carbonite.

Thanks, but I have no need of or interest in the product, only in the quality of conversation here. If Jerry really does have complaints about the product/service, he should state specifically what those are.

I am honestly surprised by you, Krrish... sounds like you are really a fan of carbonite. Let me ask you have you actually backed up files over 100MB, and up to 2GB? Have you actually downloaded files of this size? I did it, and it works like piece of crap; it never finishes! I don't even know how much it is done. I run a small business, that's why I occasional visit this place and some other place. I use DriveHQ service, because their product is the best among what I've tried. Plus their service is good, they helped me work out bandwidth issue. You have free time to check the download.com reviews, can't you notice why so many people reviewed their software??? and on the first day when it was released??? Do you have any clue how long it takes to backup all my photos? that's about 4GB; and my documents folder? 12GB. So people immediately started singing praise of carbonite before their files are uploaded??? Who are they?

Comparison of Carbonite

Do you have any clue how long it takes to backup all my photos? that's about 4GB; and my documents folder? 12GB.
    Initial backup might take several days because of the asymmetry in the
    cable/DSL modem speed. How does that matter? You just leave the connection on overnight. After the initial uploading is done then only changes in files and new files need to be uploaded. That takes a very short time daily.

I dont care whether you like carbonite or not. I dont want you distort their
    product performance in order to sell your product.

People can also try other similar products, such as www.sparebackup.com.

Still, it's something of an interesting coincidence that driveHQ is located in san jose, and so are you.

Smile

I have not tried downloading files as large as 2GB from Carbonite. Probably I will never have such large files.

I compared Your company's pricing to Carbonite's:
    Your company charges for 20GB, $20/month
    whereas Carbonite charges $5/month for 50GB.

I have never heard of it before looks cool but I already have to much software as it is.
    Increase Sales with the First Smart Shopping Cart FREE Trial!

Thread Information