Thread: Responsive web design vs. separate mobile site

Responsive web design vs. separate mobile site

What do you think is better for online shops responsive web design or a separate mobile site?

both have pros & cons. I have read a few articles over the internet. I personally would go with responsive design so I do not have to maintain separate code bases while the user experience is consistent on any devices. Also, most developers are now getting used to with responsive design with the helps of powerful framework like foundation, bootstrap and etc.

Beside all the pros & cons, Responsive web design is better than separate mobile site.

Responsive web design is better as it fulfills both the purpose for mobile & desktop as well as it is SEO friendly.

Responsive web design is recommended by Google that is why I would recommend everyone to choose it.

You can check more detailed pros and cons of responsive web design and mobile website here http://www.alt-team.com/responsive-d...ces-trend.html

Kind regards

Responsive web design is best idea to reduce cost and time. Responsive design is best suit for all devices. Learn more from this article: http://www.shoptalksocial.com/respon...erce-business/

Responsive design all the way. One of the most important take-aways from 2013 is that 2014 will be the "year of mobile commerce."

At least, that's the popular prediction right now.

Either way, it's tough to ignore the numbers. More people are using tablets and smartphones to buy stuff online than ever before, which means it's up to online store owners to make sure it's easy for their customers (both current and potential) to do that. A lot.

It's worth the investment, for sure. Hope this helps!

_ Sean

Having seperate sites will become a thing of the past at some point. Once you detiremine that your site has sufficient mobile traffic, then a responsive web design makes sense. It may be a little more in development time, but it's worth it when it comes to site maintenance.

For sites that do not see much mobile traffic, do not see a neccessity to use a responsive approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Approachnet View Post
    Having seperate sites will become a thing of the past at some point.
    I think this is very true. Part of the reason I think this is because Google is really pushing this idea along, and the things they push along have a tendency to stick.

What I mean is that Google has a tendency to favor sites that are designed responsively in the web results. They're doing this simply because they believe that's what will bring the best of the web to the users.

_ Sean

What about having a mobile app for your site? I certainly find them useful, especially when your mobile phone reception isn't great when you're trying to browse a site.

Having a standalone mobile app is great -- but it should be something that is implemented well after a successful mobile site has been accomplished.

Here's the thing about a mobile app -- only customers who are super into a retailer are going to want to go through the "effort" required to actually download a whole separate app.

So the way you use the two in conjunction with one another can get a little tricky. It's not smart to have a mobile app before you have a mobile-optimized site, in my opinion. Give your customers as many options and ways to access your content as they can possibly have. Let them feel like they can get to your store however they want to.

A mobile app without a mobile-optimized website can make people feel like they're forced to download an app.

You CAN, however, put special content in that app that isn't available on your site. Something of a fans-only benefit...but it's important to make this extra content, and nothing essential. You want to make sure you avoid alienating potential customers.

Of course, if exclusivity is totally what you're going for, and you think your brand has the strength to ride on that idea, then a lot of what I said doesn't really apply. :P

_ Sean

Thread Information